Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roop27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK
Hi guys,

just need some advice here.

recently my windows laptop went to the place up in the sky and i've had my last nerve twitched with pc.

I'm looking to get a complete apple set up but need advice on parts of the set up below:

1. For general browsing and movies when travelling etc - ipad mini w Retina

2. iMac for major works at home and a main family computer

3. This is the issue. i had an ipad 4 and wasn't happy with its functionality on the go (hence the windows laptop). I'm considering the below devices, your advice on my needs noted below:

Uses

Movies in bed
Work on the go
browsing
video editting (assessing biomechanics of patients)
youtubing
website upkeep

Devices:

Macbook Air 13" 256gb 8gb (i could possibly wait until next year for the retina (IF) as I love the portability)
Macbook Pro with Retina 13" 256gb 8gb

HELP! I'm dying for apple to take my money....

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
either of those computers should do those things no problem. i would check on any propriatary software that might be associated with your work but otherwise either would be perfectly adequate.

Why not go to an apple store and play with both? For me i was sure i wanted a 13" air. but then i played with them and i couldn't really tell the difference in weight/portability between the 13 air and 13 rMBP. At that point it became a choice between the ultralight 11" and a pro. But then i was thinking it was either ultralight or ultrapowerful (the 15" retina) But I ended up getting the 11 because i'm not a big fan of buying first generation tech and whenever i am split between 2 things, all things being equal i go with the cheaper option.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The 13" MBA will be fine for editing video. I used my 2011 13" i5/4gb/256gb MBA with an older version of Final Cut Pro to edit professional full HD video (XDCAM EX) with no problems. The new models are faster, have better battery life, more RAM and USB 3 so they are great.

Actually I replaced my 2011 machine with a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and really like it - rendering is definitely faster.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Pretty much abandoned the iPad in favor of my 13" Air for the same reasons you posted. The iPad is only slightly more portable. If portability is your 1st priority then it's probably the answer. If you prefer a laptop but need some portability then the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.