Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FabianB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Hello everybody.

Me and a friend of mine both have the same iPhone (3G). We also both have iOS 4.2.1. When he tries installing an app, but his iOS is too low for it, it automaticly installs a previous app version. Doesn't work for me (As example; He got a version of Jetpack Joyride (a game), that is compatible for iOS 4.2.1. But when I try installing Jetpack Joyride with App Store, he just tells me to update my iOS (When I try updating it then says that my iOS is the newest version compatible to my phone)). Weird?? o_O.

Hope someone can help me!

Greetings, Fabian B.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Well, I am using the same phone with the same OS. I would rather not install any application to it because it is way to slow lol. As for your question, you should be able to install the old versions of apps that you have previously purchased, however I do not know about the new apps. Besides, developer may delete old versions from App Store permanently. In this case you have no chance to install it.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Yes I kinda read the question wrong but the deal though is that Apple gave the option to devs to choose rather or not you can install that old app cause there might be problems with the servers that an app uses. For example a week ago I was on 5.0.1 and I downloaded the latest compatible version of shazam, 2 days ago I had to download the app again but this time it didn't let me instead it told me to update to ios 6. The thing is that your friend got to download the old version of that app before the developer blocked the option to download old apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes I kinda read the question wrong but the deal though is that Apple gave the option to devs to choose rather or not you can install that old app cause there might be problems with the servers that an app uses. For example a week ago I was on 5.0.1 and I downloaded the latest compatible version of shazam, 2 days ago I had to download the app again but this time it didn't let me instead it told me to update to ios 6. The thing is that your friend got to download the old version of that app before the developer blocked the option to download old apps.
Assuming that's what happened. I think the question is whether or not that's the case or could there be something else going on (an issue of some sort when it comes to latest compatible versions in general or something like that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.