PDA

View Full Version : Ram Recognition in g3 Wallstreet Powerbook

Cossax
Dec 10, 2005, 02:41 PM
I recently bought a Wallstreet (300MHz) off of eBay and it has 9.2.2 installed as well as 192MB ram. As I want to upgrade to OS X, I decided to buy 2 256MB ram modules to use in it and had a friend help install them in the top and bottom slots.

The problem is that once we turned the Wallstreet back on, it only recognised 256MB of ram. We were both confused and I was wondering if 9.2.2 will only recognise that much or whether one/both of the Ram modules aren't fully compatible? Would OS X recognise the full 512?

Thanks,
C.

mklos
Dec 11, 2005, 06:59 PM
I don't think OS 9 can see that much RAM on your PB. Install OS X and see what happens. You may have to have a low density SODIMM for one of the slots. I know the 233, 266, 333 MHz iMacs were that way.

BTW...I wouldn't even try Tiger on that PB. Panther will be the best OS for that particular PB.

CanadaRAM
Dec 11, 2005, 07:09 PM
I recently bought a Wallstreet (300MHz) off of eBay and it has 9.2.2 installed as well as 192MB ram. As I want to upgrade to OS X, I decided to buy 2 256MB ram modules to use in it and had a friend help install them in the top and bottom slots.

The problem is that once we turned the Wallstreet back on, it only recognised 256MB of ram. We were both confused and I was wondering if 9.2.2 will only recognise that much or whether one/both of the Ram modules aren't fully compatible? Would OS X recognise the full 512?

Thanks,
C.
What modules did you get?
They need to be low-density PC66.

Cossax
Dec 11, 2005, 07:17 PM
My friend (a bit of a Machead) suggested Panther as well...of course since Tiger comes on a DVD as standard that decision was made for me.

I was hoping as much especially since I don't particularily like the idea of opening up the PB and checking which was working/taking them out to return.

As for what type, I'm not sure really but the resident genius in the local Mac shop said they should be ok for the Wallstreet model.

Thanks!

CanadaRAM
Dec 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
My friend (a bit of a Machead) suggested Panther as well...of course since Tiger comes on a DVD as standard that decision was made for me.

I was hoping as much especially since I don't particularily like the idea of opening up the PB and checking which was working/taking them out to return.

As for what type, I'm not sure really but the resident genius in the local Mac shop said they should be ok for the Wallstreet model.

Thanks!
"Should be".... now that's condifence inspiring...

redeye be
Dec 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
I updated my iBook 300 Mhz with a PC133 (512Mb) module and it works fine.
They need to be low-density PC66.
It does have only one RAM slot though.
Does that make a difference?

doucy2
Dec 11, 2005, 07:23 PM
tiger wont work nativly on it
install panther and 2x 256mb of pc66 low-density ram and you you got yourself a pimped out wallstreet

Cossax
Dec 11, 2005, 07:31 PM
Just checked and it's PC133, 2 x 256MB.

How does one know whether it's high or low density though?

CanadaRAM
Dec 11, 2005, 08:27 PM
Just checked and it's PC133, 2 x 256MB.

How does one know whether it's high or low density though?
How many littl black chips does it have on it (count them on both sides of the module) 4 = high density = bad. 8 = low density for a 256 Mb = possibly good, 16 = low density= good (512's HAVE to be 16 chip)

Also if they are PC133 modules and locked at 133 MHz, that's bad. They have to have the SPDs written to permit operation at 66 and 100 MHz.