Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Before upgrading to Mavericks, I had a "Sharing only" account called "Shared" with a password, which I used to allow other computers to connect to my Mac. However, since upgrading to Mavericks, this account no longer appears in the "Users & Groups" System Preferences pane. I believe this is because it conflicted with the built-in "Shared" folder in /Users/Shared, so Mavericks probably had trouble with this account when upgrading OS X.

However, the account itself still works, with my old password. Is there a way to delete this account, even if it doesn't appear in "Users & Groups", without deleting the /Users/Shared folder (which is separate; the folder is part of OS X, and my "Sharing only" account has no Home folder).

newmacuser2013

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
Hi Gary, with regards to how to delete the sharing only account, you may want to consider the following suggestion from user Dibbler of Apple Support Communities. It has worked for me.

"Go to the root of your hard drive then System > Library > CoreServices > Directory Utility.

Unlock the window and go to the directory editor pane.

In the top left corner of the window make sure the drop down window has users selected then search for the name of the 'sharing' account you want to delete.

If it finds a result on the left hand side for it, highlight it and then hit the minus button at the bottom of the page and it will remove this account altogether."

Before upgrading to Mavericks, I had a "Sharing only" account called "Shared" with a password, which I used to allow other computers to connect to my Mac. However, since upgrading to Mavericks, this account no longer appears in the "Users & Groups" System Preferences pane. I believe this is because it conflicted with the built-in "Shared" folder in /Users/Shared, so Mavericks probably had trouble with this account when upgrading OS X.

However, the account itself still works, with my old password. Is there a way to delete this account, even if it doesn't appear in "Users & Groups", without deleting the /Users/Shared folder (which is separate; the folder is part of OS X, and my "Sharing only" account has no Home folder).

Reactions: vlug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.