Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idelovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Hi,

I wanted to have a single machine with the latest iOS support and as well the 10.4 SDK PPC support.

The Snow Leopard Server in VMWare looked as a natural solution. SLS is cheap on Amazon, but they ship it only to USA so I had to find a way to bring it over here. Next, to put it on my MBA I created an image on my Mini but it failed to install.

Googling revealed few things. When creating the image in DiskUtility, I need to select the drive, not the disk. SLS 10.6 can't be installed on i5/i7 so I have to install it on Core2Duo, upgrade to 10.6.8 and then move it to a newer Mac. And SLS needs at least 2GB of RAM (versus 1GB required for normal SL).

I did everything but Xcode 3.2.6 failed to install with some strange "unexpected" error. Googling told me to set the time to 1/1/2012 and it did the trick. Xcode installed, I managed to build my universal project with the 10.4 SDK.

But as I made the copy of VM disk image I have noticed it grew really big. From initial 11GB in size it became 29GB after the update to 10.6.8 and Xcode install. Why on Earth it grew so much?

My question is have I done anything wrong? Should I start from scratch? Should I install Xcode first and then run the update? Should I somehow run only the partial update somehow?

Anyone else running Xcode in SL Server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.