Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I'm in the process of setting up VMware Fusion and have come to the option for choosing the level of integration of sharing files between Windows 8.1 and my Mac.

"More Seamless" looks attractive, but is there a greater chance of Windows viruses infecting Mac files? Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Which would you choose: More Seamless or More Isolated?

Thanks

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Best is to put it to isolated. Although Windows viruses cannot infect OS X, it'll still be residing somewhere in the Mac side, and there's a chance that you can pass it on to other Windows users.

For me, I turned off file sharing and only enabled drag and drop between OS X and Windows.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I have mine set just like yjchua95. I want to sandbox Windows as much as possible.

In regards to Windows viruses. If you had everything integrated, I would assume that if a piece of malware such as CryptoLocker infected Windows, it could find your Mac documents and begin encrypting them and hold those files ransom for your cash.

Years ago, I tried Parallels and they did everything possible to integrate Windows and it's apps to appear to work in OS X and it was extremely annoying. For example, when I right-clicked on a document, I was given all sorts of options to open it with Windows apps which I would never do. This was one of my many gripes with Parallels and I moved to Fusion partially because of how well it can sandbox VMs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.