Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harm Brugge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I'm using an Apple TV for a while now and I never had this problem before.
I stream mp4 files to my Apple TV 3 from my Synology NAS using DS video station. I mux in the subtitles myself using programs like Subler and MP4Tools from SRT to Tx3g.
But when I play the file on my Apple TV the subtitles sometimes don't show. I have selected them in Captions, like always, but nothing. With one file only the first few lines were shown but later disappeared. Some files play without problems.
I noticed if I import the mp4 files into iTunes on my macbook the same issue occurs. The file where only the first few lines of the subtitles works, stops at the exact same moment on my laptop.
If i extract the subtitle from the mp4 nothing seem wrong with it.

Does anyone have the same issue or a solution for this problem?

emmgunn

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I'd take a close look at the SRT subtitles for errors. Blank lines between the times and dialog is a common one, but usually the muxer will complain and not even allow the subtitle to be combined with the video. A more frustrating problem is with times that aren't sequential. This usually happens when ASS/SSA subtitles are converted to SRT. For ASS/SSA subtitles, it is possible to have lines of dialogue appear on screen at the same time, so when converted to SRT, depending on the converter, you'll typically get times that overlap. The frustrating part is that it seems that most muxers will happily combine these with video files, and you don't find out about the problem until the player tries to display the overlapping text.

I got so frustrated with this that I built it into SUBtools. It'll find these errors and then try to fix them for you. It's a trial ware app that's still in beta, but if you don't want to register for it, you can have it check for errors and then you can fix them manually. Hopefully that steers you in the right direction.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.