Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Has anyone found that BBC iPlayer download app won't work with 10.9?

voicebox

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
London UK
Has anyone found that BBC iPlayer download app won't work with 10.9?

Hi pipco,

My BBC iPlayer app (Version: 3.2.15) is working fine with Mavericks, I have just been watching live TV - all is OK.
Maybe you might try uninstalling the app and then downloading and reinstalling it again.
voicebox.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I prefer to use Get iplayer automator as the app allows me to permanently save downloaded programs directly to my desktop. It also allows me to download shows from itv player too and can be used with a proxy for those outside the UK. Well worth a look in my opinion and it works a treat on mavericks.

You can download it here
https://www.macupdate.com/app/iphone/39019/get-iplayer-automator

Last edited:

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I too have searched in vain for the bbc iplayer app. What gives?

Quite. Why they don't put it on the App Store, like good citizens, is beyond me. A ton of people, myself included, stay well clear of apps downloaded outside the store. It's not as if the BBC would lose any money by doing that.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Quite. Why they don't put it on the App Store, like good citizens, is beyond me. A ton of people, myself included, stay well clear of apps downloaded outside the store. It's not as if the BBC would lose any money by doing that.

I'd hardly call the BBC a source of dodgy apps. I have no qualms downloading anything they produce (although often it is buggy).

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
(although often it is buggy).

i remember that from when i had it installed on a 10.6.8 MB a year or 2 back. were often issues with video not downloading, or not playing for example. not used it since to be fair so can't speak to how it is now

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I'd hardly call the BBC a source of dodgy apps. I have no qualms downloading anything they produce (although often it is buggy).

I have no reason to think that the BBC would produce dodgy software. But I want my computer to check for and display updates via its standard update mechanism, not at the convenience of a third party, or the app itself. I also want an assurance that it has passed vetting by Apple, and that it will get rescinded automatically should the need arise. So, it's App Store for me unless there's a very good reason otherwise.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
i remember that from when i had it installed on a 10.6.8 MB a year or 2 back. were often issues with video not downloading, or not playing for example. not used it since to be fair so can't speak to how it is now

It's been rewritten since then. They've removed quite a few features (e.g. Series link), but it's otherwise much more stable

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I have no reason to think that the BBC would produce dodgy software. But I want my computer to check for and display updates via its standard update mechanism, not at the convenience of a third party, or the app itself. I also want an assurance that it has passed vetting by Apple, and that it will get rescinded automatically should the need arise. So, it's App Store for me unless there's a very good reason otherwise.

If the application is written by a third party then it's ALWAYS updated at the convenience of that third party; it's not Apple who makes the updates. In fact Apple often delays updates because of it's approval process in the Mac App Store. And with that you're at the mercy of Apple's ID scheme.

Believe it or not Macs worked fine for decades without the Mac App Store. And millions of us use applications without going through Apple's stores. If you limit yourself to one-stop shopping there you'll never to able to use some of the most important software out there, like Microsoft Word or Excel, Adobe Photoshop, etc. But I'm sure you can find some fun games :)

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
If the application is written by a third party then it's ALWAYS updated at the convenience of that third party; it's not Apple who makes the updates. In fact Apple often delays updates because of it's approval process in the Mac App Store. And with that you're at the mercy of Apple's ID scheme.

Believe it or not Macs worked fine for decades without the Mac App Store. And millions of us use applications without going through Apple's stores. If you limit yourself to one-stop shopping there you'll never to able to use some of the most important software out there, like Microsoft Word or Excel, Adobe Photoshop, etc. But I'm sure you can find some fun games :)

Believe it or not, MS software is not important to me on my Mac! In fact, I did have MS Office for Mac, gratis with a certain subscription that I have. But I uninstalled it because Pages / Numbers do everything I need. And what a pain in the neck it was to remove all trace of it. Yuk. Not a pleasant uninstall.

Similarly, I have Photoshop on my work PC, but there's no way I'm jumping into Adobe's subscription model, so they can kiss goodbye to me as a returning customer.

But the point about the above programs is that they are not free, and the App Store would charge a commission. The BBC iPlayer, however, is free so no commission would be payable on the App Store.

That being the case, why are the BBC unwilling to put it on the App Store? Makes me wonder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.