Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
I have been having severe trouble with my DSL dropping connection and going dead. I've seemed to have traced the problem to a cheap telephone line spltter that I was using to split the line so I can plug in my answering machine and my Tivo. Is there a specific brand or type of spltter that is designed to be used with DSL. Could this be the actual problem? If so, what are my options and why didn't the existing spitter work with DSL? Thanks

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I have 2 spliters before the DSL modem. It may be the quality of the spliter.

Remember phone lines are very long and the cables are allways the same thin thing, so, there should not be any problme with spliters and is very hard to find a cheap one. I gess you got the one :) . My spliters are generic.

Be carefull because it can be your DSL povider or some random short circuit out side the house that interup the transmition, I had that one once.

Get other spliters first and if the problen continues use the unit by itself. If it works ok, is the spliters, if not is the line or the unit itself.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
filter

You have a dsl filter on every phone line in the house right? You have one between the wall and your slitter right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.