Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
CA
I'm going to purchase a new or refurbished MM to connect to my tv downstairs. It's really going to only be used for movies/music/blogging. The current MM doesn't have optical out, but has the 3.5mm jack. I want to connect it to my soundbar and will be forced to use either bluetooth or 3.5mm. My question is, if I watch a high def movie with 5.1 Surround Sound, will either the bluetooth or 3.5mm transmit that audio quality without an issue?

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
CA
Yes, it's a Digital Out, so you need a adaptor
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD101.html?id=HTkW64FR should do the trick.

But surely your soundbar or 5.1 surround system is setup with either optical out of the TV to the surround system (Or HDMI via the ARC connection) and you just plug the mini in with a standard HDMI.

Thanks!

I have had issues in the past running my wdtv with HDMI and using optical out on the tv to the soundbar. A lot of my movies would crackle and get distorted, I figured the tv was trying to process the audio before it got to them soundbar, so for the wdtv I used the optical out and this resolved my issues.

That connection, so I understand, connects to one end of the optical cable and turns it into a 3.5mm?

CoolHotCold

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
Should do, It's been the same on 2011, 2012 and the description is exactly the same Digital Out/Analogue out.

Plus it's like £3, you've not exactly wasted a huge amount if not. But it should work fine, no problems.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
But just remember most TVs won't transmit 5.1 via their optical out (just plain old stereo).

I just bring that up because of:

I have had issues in the past running my wdtv with HDMI and using optical out on the tv to the soundbar. A lot of my movies would crackle and get distorted, I figured the tv was trying to process the audio before it got to them soundbar, so for the wdtv I used the optical out and this resolved my issues.

But the proposed config of adapter->toslink->sound bar should pass the 5.1 fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.