Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Hey guys. Semi lurker here. I realized that I never made a thread on here since I redesigned my app for ios 7. If you haven't gotten a chance please feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. It's a heavily worked on 3D modeling studio for iOS and mac that I've worked on by myself for a few years now.

I host my own online community as well where uses can share scenes they created and request new features.

4.PNG

To learn more check it out here: http://vertostudio.com/ipad/learnmore.php

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh man, I've been meaning to buy this. Thanks for the update.

I use the student version of Autodesk Maya, do you know if importing objects would be a problem as long as they're OBJ?

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for your support!

OBJs from maya load fine as long as you export normals and texcoords as well. Triangulation is recommended but no longer required.

Also I'm always standing by in nerd mode via email to receive and diagnose files that fail to load (won't get that with the big companies) :)

file.php

Another screen (iphone version). Disclaimer on this one: The shadows effects generated via pre baked lightmap created in external software on the desktop.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That's nice! :D Saw that on the forum this morning. I'll sign up tomorrow when I get back from class.

Here's my lame first go. :eek: Some grid snapping would be nice as I found that when I was trying to scale my cubes, it would skew.

IMG_0038.PNG

Otherwise I like it. I think a built in screenshot feature would be nice. One that can cut out the background if there isn't anything there.

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
That's nice! :D Saw that on the forum this morning. I'll sign up tomorrow when I get back from class.

Here's my lame first go. :eek: Some grid snapping would be nice as I found that when I was trying to scale my cubes, it would skew.

Otherwise I like it. I think a built in screenshot feature would be nice. One that can cut out the background if there isn't anything there.

Wow you rule! I definitely couldn't make something like that any time fast.
I'll add your grid snapping suggestion to my to do list :)

ps there is a render to clipboard feature via the camera icon which can exclude the background so you can render to alpha transparent images. I couldn't do that with the render to library features b/c apple doesn't let you save images with alpha to the user's photo library :)

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
I went ahead and made a video tutorial explaining how I pulled off the soft shadowing effect you see in the first screen shot :)

http://youtu.be/bOpJ9H1R420

PS, it feels nice to be able to finally voice type from my iPad :D

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I went ahead and made a video tutorial explaining how I pulled off the soft shadowing effect you see in the first screen shot :)

http://youtu.be/bOpJ9H1R420

PS, it feels nice to be able to finally voice type from my iPad :D

Voice type?! Hahaha.

... What in the world is with the chicken crossing the road?!

Thanks for the video. I have all these ideas spinning in my head now.

Thanks for telling me about the clipboard function too. I forgot about the whole transparency exploit in iOS 5.

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Voice type?! Hahaha.

... What in the world is with the chicken crossing the road?!

Thanks for the video. I have all these ideas spinning in my head now.

Thanks for telling me about the clipboard function too. I forgot about the whole transparency exploit in iOS 5.

Haha. The chicken is something I saw which I recorded while on vacation to the keys in Florida. :). I always start my tutorial videos with something dumb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.