Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Just a word of warning to anyone who might be storing tagged documents in Dropbox. As of now (version 2.5.32 Beta) Dropbox does not sync OSX Extended Attributes. It is a known bug and they have promised to work on this. However, I am not sure where it falls on their priority list. Here's a forum post discussing this.

So a word to the wise, don't store any tagged documents you'd like to sync on Dropbox with other Mavericks installations.

I did a search on the forum, and didn't see any pertinent information. And having very nearly lost many hours of hard work, I wanted to share this bit of info.

TL;DR - Dropbox no sync tags; issue known

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I don't think it's simply a bug. There are conceptual issues with tags and syncing - say you have a shared folder and someone shares a file with her own tags. They would contaminate your tags and cause all kinds of possible issues. There are ways around this, but it's not that simple.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Dropbox has synced my Openmeta tags just fine, so the issue with Mavericks tags are surely easy to fix. The two tagging systems are identical under the hood. Openmeta uses "kMDItemOMUserTags".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.