PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook w/SD Price Drop at Amazon

GWS
Dec 11, 2005, 11:37 AM
Yesterday Amazon dropped the price (via instant rebate) on the 12" and 14" iBooks. Today, they've dropped the price by $150 on the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive. That's BEFORE the $150 Amazon mail-in rebate, for a total savings of $300! I was just about to talk myself into an iBook at this reduced price, and decided to wait and see if the Powerbooks dropped too. (Decided to wait based on this article http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1406 concerning reduced demand for Apple laptops this holiday season).

Dang, pretty tempting! I don't really *need* a laptop, and could wait to see what gets announced at MWSF, but I think these are pretty sweet prices. The current models will more than meet my needs (I have an iMac G5 20" Rev B for the heavy lifting). And I seriously doubt I want to jump on the first Intel 'books for 4 reasons:

Prefer to stay away from Rev As
Emulation generally sucks performance-wise (need for Rosetta to run most apps initially)
Initial Intel processor used likely replaced within 6 - 8 months
The "extras" and improved specs start showing up on the Rev Bs.

Decisions, decisions!

Gary

liketom
Dec 11, 2005, 11:50 AM
looks like apple will unleash the intels in Jan then

intel power/ibooks next tuesday :D

Eidorian
Dec 11, 2005, 11:52 AM
Honestly, if you need something NOW get it. New and "better" machines are always released and you'll feel bad but get over it. The same thing happened when they released the new iMacs. I wanted one so badly but I got over it. I've gotten lots of good usage out of my older iMac G5 and I'm happy.

GWS
Dec 11, 2005, 05:26 PM
Ah, to heck with "next Tuesday" and MWSF! ;) This is a good deal. This PBook will satisfy my needs for a portable, and even if its value drops like a rock in the next year, it will satisfy the needs of my wife or stepdaughters as a hand-me-down for a couple of years after that. What the heck, life is short, might as well be smiling... which is what I'll be doing everytime I use my new PBook! Can hardly wait for it to get here!

Gary

japasneezemonk
Dec 11, 2005, 05:53 PM
If i didn't already have a PB i would jump on this deal. $1,200.00 tax free is a steal.

GWS
Dec 12, 2005, 09:16 AM
Looks like this was a one-day-only sale. It's back to regular price on Amazon. Glad I went ahead and ordered one yesterday! I seriously considered sleeping on it first, but then talked myself into it as it was a great deal. So glad I did! Usually I wait and miss out. This should serve me well until the Intel transition settles out, then will serve my wife or stepdaughters well for a couple more years. I'm the only one in the family that really gives a darn about the hardware, so it doesn't matter to them what they're using, as long as it works. Makes it easier for me to upgrade periodically, being able to hand down my previous system to them.

Gary

maya
Dec 12, 2005, 09:23 AM

More like a month from now. ;) :)

NYmacAttack
Dec 12, 2005, 12:12 PM
$1200 for the powerbook is a great deal especially with the free shipping and no tax. Wish I would have caught it earlier. :(

opik
Dec 12, 2005, 06:03 PM

Why next tuesday? When was this announced?

mjstew33
Dec 12, 2005, 07:09 PM
This is basically a joke. There are tons of threads each month saying, "iBooks next Tuesday"? or "PowerBooks next Tuesday?" or "PowerMacs next Tuesday"? or "iMacs next Tuesday?"... you get where I'm going. Tuesday is the traditional day Apple updates it's products if there are any updates.

Shall I make... IBOOKS NEXT TUESDAY?!!? OMG WTF LOL BBQ

Eidorian
Dec 12, 2005, 07:14 PM

This is basically a joke. There are tons of threads each month saying, "iBooks next Tuesday"? or "PowerBooks next Tuesday?" or "PowerMacs next Tuesday"? or "iMacs next Tuesday?"... you get where I'm going. Tuesday is the traditional day Apple updates it's products if there are any updates.

Shall I make... IBOOKS NEXT TUESDAY?!!? OMG WTF LOL BBQIt's also used in Star Trek: Generations as to when the the final systems on the Enterprise-B will be installed.

Jon'sLightBulbs
Dec 12, 2005, 07:19 PM
If you can't wait 30 days to get a computer, get it now! You won't feel queasy when they release the intels in a month for the exact same price you paid for your G4. I promise. Buy NOW for your needs NOW! :D