Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I have had my ATV3 for 1 year now but only recently am using youtube regularly. Everything is updated, and yes I have reboot it multiple times. Everything is wired so don't even blame on WIFI.

It keeps getting stuck with the "wait" circle, pauses.

All my other devices are working fine with youtube and ATV3 itself works good with netflix and the other apps, the problem is only with youtube as if there is a specific problem with the youtube widget.

Any thoughts?

---------------------

RESOLVED (I hope) Hardware Firewall Blocking:

I have a rule-based hardware firewall (SonicWall) which is more restrictive than your typical turn-key home firewall. Out of the box, it blocks everything, one even have to tell it to allow port 80 access (http)!

As I was looking at something else, I go, may as well look at the firewall's log to see if there is anything there. Lo & behold, log says it's blocking a wan address 17.x.x.x which I recognize as Apple! Unblocked them, now it seems to work better. Knock on wood.

Why the ATV does this and not my other devices I can only guess Apple is doing some kind of data gathering or potential content filtering or parental control. I sure hope it's not collecting data of what am doing on Youtube. :eek:

Anywhoo, that is the short of this creepy scoop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.