Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aheying7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Go to Apple's website and find the tech specs for any of the new iPhones or iPads. Under "Built-In Apps" is iBooks. It is not listed with the "Free Apps from Apple" section. I think this is an early "leak" that iBooks will be built-in soon (7.1???). That is probably why they haven't updated it yet. Due to this information, I am expecting iOS 7.1 to come built in with a new version of iBooks.

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Could be, but I don't think so. If you keep scrolling down on that page, you'll see that the iWork and iLife apps are also listed, and we know those don't come built into the OS.

Kaiser99

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
But as apple are now giving away iWork and iLife for free it would make sense for them to just put them in the free download. Why go looking for anything else when pages etc are already on the second page of your iDevice.

In a perfect world they will be on any new device as standard but with the option to delete if wanted

Last edited:

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I could see that happening. It would make sense because iBooks is now a stock app on OS X. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's currently the only app that is on both platforms that is not delivered to the separate devices in the same way (from App Store on iOS vs. already installed on OS X).

You know when starting up an iPhone or a Mac that Safari, Messages, Maps, Contacts, etc. will already be there. You also know that iWork has to come from the App store on both devices. With iBooks, the process differs between the devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.