Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sscheema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Well here I am - I am already on to Mavericks - but I am itching to do a clean install. My question is - though I have a time machine backup I do not want system files to be restored - otherwise - it is the same unclean install with the system restored.
So the question is can I just restore the data files selectively - and if I cannot do it then can I backup files selectively ? the point is I do not want to wish some stupid but a file that I cannot do without...
So what all do I do ? What files do I backup ? and How ?

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
After you clean install you can go in your TM backup folders and restore your files individually

sscheema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Can I choose and restore ? Last time I had a big problem where in I did not have permissions for the files restored...:confused:

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Can I choose and restore ? Last time I had a big problem where in I did not have permissions for the files restored...:confused:
Unless someone specifically confirms that procedures and implementations have changed for Mavericks it is quite possible that you will experience the same issues.

Previous versions Mac OS and Time Machine:
http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html

Also, be aware that there are serious issues with the combination of some external drives and Mavericks. If your backups are affected by that you may find yourself with an unusable drive with inaccessible Time Machine back-ups after erasing your main volume for a clean installation.

Sorry to be a little doomsday but unless you have an urgent troubleshooting need for a clean installation I'd suggest not doing one at this point in time.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I installed a new hard drive in my MacBook yesterday, clean installed Mavericks, and then brought things back up through Time Machine.

Were there options that I could have deselected when reviving through Time Machine that would have made my install "cleaner" and I still wouldn't have noticeably lost any information?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.