Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaticMotions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
I've seen this before on rigs without a lot of RAM, but this mac pro has 32gb. When rendering large scenes in Maya the CPU load is at a consistent 100%, but the RAM usually hovers around 40%. Despite having 50-60gb of free HD space when I start these renders, the swap files often grow so large that I am warned that my computer has run out of disc space.

While I can understand why heavy load applications might cause this issue, I am getting the same problems when there aren't a lot of applications running. Why is OSX at most using 10 out of 32gb of RAM, and instead wiping out 50-60gb of HD space -- crashing various applications in the process?

This mac is running on a vanilla version of Lion, so there aren't any 3rd party apps running in the background. Activity monitor doesn't show any rogue processes running amuck -- it does however indicate an awful lot of memory that is not being utilized. Any ideas?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Post a screen shot of Activity Monitor showing the memory usage when you have this issue. Also what version of Lion are you running? If you're not running 10.7.5, I suggest you update to 10.7.5 (if you can) and apply any security patches and see if anything changes. I noticed some memory management changes between 10.7.4 and 10.7.5+security patches.

dean1012

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Just out of curiosity, is Maya *supposed* to be using RAM?

I know a video production guy who does a lot of work (dont' know what apps) but those apps require swap files not RAM.

Also, how are you seeing these files? To my knowledge, you wouldn't see actual swap as files on the filesystem but you would see the usage in activity monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.