Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
I can't seem to get Mafia 2 to run under 10.9, the icon will appear in the dock for a few seconds then go away.

Machine has been reinstalled a few times with 10.9 fresh

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I can't seem to get Mafia 2 to run under 10.9, the icon will appear in the dock for a few seconds then go away.

I hope you contacted Feral support and will keep us posted on what they have to say. I still haven't bought this game yet but am interested in it.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

I would contact our support, however in our testing Mavericks has vastly improved the stability and performance of the game on many Mac's especially the lower end cards.

However if you email Feral support I am sure our support ninjas will investigate.

Edwin

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal

I have a Mac Mini 2012 (with 8GB RAM) and just installed Mavericks over Mountain Lion.
As soon as I read your post, I tried (for the first time since upgrading) Mafia II and it worked as it did before.

mPastuszko

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
After upgrade to Mavericks my Mafia II stopped working. The icon appears in the dock but after two seconds becomes unresponsive and the whole application hangs. The only thing I can do is right click the icon and force Mafia to quit.

I tried pressing command or option key when launching but it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
After upgrade to Mavericks my Mafia II stopped working. The icon appears in the dock but after two seconds becomes unresponsive and the whole application hangs. The only thing I can do is right click the icon and force Mafia to quit.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried deleting an reinstalling

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Any suggestions?

Contacting support is a good idea, you can get support unless you ask for it :) We have seen a few graphical issues on Mavericks (due to drivers bugs) but not any 100% loading bugs so it's likely your setup and hopefully simple to fix.

Edwin

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Works fine over here. Sadly, the performance under OSX is as terrible as I remember it (2010 Macbook Pro).

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Works fine over here. Sadly, the performance under OSX is as terrible as I remember it (2010 Macbook Pro).

Sadly the performance of the Nvidia 300 series graphics card drivers was never improved in the later OS releases. We did log a number of bugs against the card that caused slower performance on that hardware but although some bugs were fixed the general performance on that hardware was never improved. If the drivers are improved the game performance should jump back up and match similarly powered mac hardware.

Sorry I don't have better news

Edwin

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Sadly the performance of the Nvidia 300 series graphics card drivers was never improved in the later OS releases. We did log a number of bugs against the card that caused slower performance on that hardware but although some bugs were fixed the general performance on that hardware was never improved. If the drivers are improved the game performance should jump back up and match similarly powered mac hardware.

Sorry I don't have better news

Edwin

Thanks for the info Edwin.:)

I am just sick of this marketing trick pushing people to buy the newest hardware, while their is perfectly fine. Apple makes great and lasting products, but cutting support after three (?) years is ridiculous.

Luckily, Mafia II runs great on GT330m under Bootcamp and I can only recommend it to people with that option.:)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks for the info Edwin.:)

I am just sick of this marketing trick pushing people to buy the newest hardware, while their is perfectly fine. Apple makes great and lasting products, but cutting support after three (?) years is ridiculous.

Luckily, Mafia II runs great on GT330m under Bootcamp and I can only recommend it to people with that option.:)

The 300 series sadly is just a bad series in terms of drivers on OS X. The NV9000 series runs faster and better as does the NV100 series which are the two previous generations of Nvidia cards in Macs.

We have a couple of AMD powered iMacs from ~2008 that can run Tomb Raider perfectly for example. It really depends on the drivers and sadly the Nvidia 300 series was a series that for some reason had a lot more issues than any card series before or since in recent memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.