Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Is there a difference between the 128gb ssd vs the 256gb ssd in terms of performance? Also, does anyone find this screen too small coming from a larger 15" plus size notebook for reading/writing/vm/videos/coding etc not so much video editing? I'm mostly concerned with portability/battery life/decent performance/low fan noise.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Just to speak to the screen size, the 11" is small but perfectly usable; the high resolution (it's not Retina but it's good) makes it feel bigger and the portability makes the small size well worth it, in my opinion. It's so lightweight and easy to carry around. And when you really need screen real estate you can always plug in to an external monitor.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Is there a difference between the 128gb ssd vs the 256gb ssd in terms of performance? Also, does anyone find this screen too small coming from a larger 15" plus size notebook for reading/writing/vm/videos/coding etc not so much video editing? I'm mostly concerned with portability/battery life/decent performance/low fan noise.

My previous MBP was 15". Loved the size until I tried 11".

1) There are no performance differences, but if you'll be running a VM I strongly suggest 256GB and 8GB.

2) I read and write a lot, I run a VM (Windows), I watch tons of movies and I think it's perfect!! The keyboard is super comfortable, the battery life is amazing when reading, writing, light use.. and very good when performing some heavy tasks (the fans will kick, but they're not a big deal)

3) My 15" had an i7, 256SSD and a GT330M and let me tell you, I can't notice the difference. I even think my MBA is quicker. Newer chips, faster ssd, whatever but it feels faster.

4) Portability.. Is like carrying an iPad.. Small, thin and light. When I'm not home, it's always in my bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.