Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelpri

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I am new to smart phone. Wondering if I should go with a 5C or look at the android phones? I want something simple that makes calls, allows texts, takes pictures and gets e-mail.
I have no other apple equipment.

Thank you

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am new to smart phone. Wondering if I should go with a 5C or look at the android phones? I want something simple that makes calls, allows texts, takes pictures and gets e-mail.

Thank you

If you're new to smartphones I would go with an iPhone. That's just my opinion.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ah, we've all been there. Before you know it, you'll have strong opinions on what OS is best for everyone. ;)

These days, you really cannot go wrong. There are plusses and minuses, but pretty much any phone you get will do what you need.

First, I'd decide which carrier(s) you're willing to use. That will reduce the models of phones you can get.

Second, I'd decide if you want to go off-contract (buy outright) or get a phone and sign a multi-year contract. That will also affect your decision.

Third, I'd go into any store that sells phones and hold a few to see what size feels best for you. Some like big screens, others like easier-to-hold phones, and that might help you decide. it doesn't matter which store you choose - you're there to decide basics like size.

Fourth, decide on a budget. If you want to go off-contract and only have $200, you're not going to get a flagship phone from anyone, for example.

Finally, try out some of the specific phones within your budget from your carrier by going to that carrier's stores (or places that sell for that carrier) and play with each phone you'd consider for a while (more than 10 seconds, for example - spend a few minutes with each).

Once you've done all that, it's really up to you. Don't be weighed down by all the fans of all the various OSs here. Fundamentally, the phones all will do what you want. Choose the one you like the most that fits your budget.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If you're new to smartphones I would go with an iPhone. That's just my opinion.

I agree with this, to an extent. Really depends on the person, but I am fairly confident in recommending a pure Nexus device to novice smartphone users too. The vanilla Android OS 'out of the box' and iOS are very similar and both are simple to learn.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I agree with this, to an extent. Really depends on the person, but I am fairly confident in recommending a pure Nexus device to novice smartphone users too. The vanilla Android OS 'out of the box' and iOS are very similar and both are simple to learn.

I love Android and Nexus devices especially but I feel like people would have less problems with iOS to be honest. Especially if they're not tech savvy and willing to look into any problems they encounter and solve them themselves.

I do know quite a few people who aren't tech savvy who own Android phones and they're doing just fine but it's not their first smart phone.

M

maj71303

I agree with most here both would be good for you. Go with the iphone 5C as it would be the best for just becoming a smartphone user.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I love Android and Nexus devices especially but I feel like people would have less problems with iOS to be honest. Especially if they're not tech savvy and willing to look into any problems they encounter and solve them themselves.

I do know quite a few people who aren't tech savvy who own Android phones and they're doing just fine but it's not their first smart phone.

Pure Android is as stable as iOS is IMO (as of Jelly Bean anyway). Both are really trouble free. I 'usually' do recommend iPhones first and then Nexus devices second to new users, but only after I ask them what they want from their phone, where they intend to use it, does their job use iPhones mostly, what does their family use, do they own Mac's or PC's, etc...

To me, it isn't so cut and dry any more. Go back 12 months and it was iPhone to new users. End of story. Now though---- much tougher decision.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I don't think that there is any difference between an Android, iOS or WP device on November 2013.

That myth that Android is for nerd doesn't hold ground

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
iOS is a really great OS. I love it. Nice and smooth and the iPhone 5 lasts me all day. Devices retain their prices pretty well. And the number of accessories available for it is just mind numbing at times.

Android is also another great OS. The customization that's available in stock form(which means not jailbreaking(hack) it) has always been one of its key points. There are MANY android devices to choose from. But I'd HIGHLY recommend buying one of the better devices out there.

What carrier are you planning on using?

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I don't think that there is any difference between an Android, iOS or WP device on November 2013.

I think WP would be a good option here. It meets the basic needs the best and would just get out of the way. The only issue is it doesn't offer much room to grow if the OP decides they want more out of their phone eventually.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

Thank you

If you're new to smartphones, you may not really appreciate what a smartphone can do until you have owned one for a while. That's what happened to me when I got my first smartphone. Pretty much any high-end phone will do those basic functions that you want.

What I would suggest is that you go to a phone store and try out the different phones. You won't be able to get your personal emails and texts, but at least you get to see what other things a smartphone can do. Try launching an app that needs input and try typing on it. Try out the web browsing features. Navigate the home screen launchers.

michaelpri

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
These are some great responses. I really appreciate them.
I am currently on Verizon and will most likely stay there- The service in mid-Michigan seems to be good.
I will try to get to Detroit or Grand Rapids to visit an Apple store because at the Verizon stores and Best Buy the phones all are anchored down with anti theft devices. Makes it very difficult to actually get a feel for the device. For android phones I am not sure where to look because they are all anchored as well.
I am with Verizon and will most likely stay with them because they have good service in Mid Michigan- however they are not really customer oriented as far as I am concerned.
I actually have to get two phones however my wife's is not due until April of 2014. They changed the program without notice from 20 months to 24 so I may need to buy hers out early.
I wish that I could get a new 5 if they were still available and I went with Apple. I am not sure where to go to look at android phones that are not anchored.

Last edited:

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
My father's first smartphone was a Samsung S2. He loves it and he's no nerd.

He's 83. Android is for everyone, not just us nerds.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'd probably recommend an iPhone, if you want an unused phone and aren't tied to a slimmer budget. Partly because they are more reliable for a complete smartphone newbie, but also because of the greater second hand value over Android phones. If you end up not liking iPhones, it will probably be because you think they're a bit boring and want to be able to customize more/have more control over the functionality of the phone. In that case you can easily sell your iPhone at a good price and get an Android instead. The reverse would cost you more, especially after 6 months or longer.

Personally I love Android as well though and if you're not completely averse to doing a bit of setting up on your own, I'd definitely check out some of those phones.

One thing though, and I am speaking from experience here: When you test Android phones in a store - don't be too put off if even a brand new "flagship" phone is completely lagged down or has a terribly ugly UI. I don't know quite what happens to these poor phones in stores, but they're generally not set up very well because people fiddle around with settings and stuff on them all day long, and they eventually get competely messed up. And the UI you will be able to mostly re-design to your own liking.

I checked out the Note 2 for 6 months before eventually buying one, and time and time again I would be put off by how ugly TouchWiz looked and how extremely laggy the phone would be in some stores. When I finally decided to make the leap though - it was awesome. Ultra fast and with the UI of my choice, icons, haptic feedback, homescreen, gestures - everything. Because then I finally had the chance to set one up properly.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I'd probably recommend an iPhone, if you want an unused phone and aren't tied to a slimmer budget. Partly because they are more reliable for a complete smartphone newbie, but also because of the greater second hand value over Android phones. If you end up not liking iPhones, it will probably be because you think they're a bit boring and want to be able to customize more/have more control over the functionality of the phone. In that case you can easily sell your iPhone at a good price and get an Android instead. The reverse would cost you more, especially after 6 months or longer.

Personally I love Android as well though and if you're not completely averse to doing a bit of setting up on your own, I'd definitely check out some of those phones.

One thing though, and I am speaking from experience here: When you test Android phones in a store - don't be too put off if even a brand new "flagship" phone is completely lagged down or has a terribly ugly UI. I don't know quite what happens to these poor phones in stores, but they're generally not set up very well because people fiddle around with settings and stuff on them all day long, and they eventually get competely messed up. And the UI you will be able to mostly re-design to your own liking.

I checked out the Note 2 for 6 months before eventually buying one, and time and time again I would be put off by how ugly TouchWiz looked and how extremely laggy the phone would be in some stores. When I finally decided to make the leap though - it was awesome. Ultra fast and with the UI of my choice, icons, haptic feedback, homescreen, gestures - everything. Because then I finally had the chance to set one up properly.

I agree...the phones in the stores get manhandled all day everyday but customers. The only good they are is to look into how they feel and to get an idea of what's included in the OS. Don't base performance on the display models...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Thank you

I would go with the Nexus 5 since you have no other Apple equipment. The learning curve on both is basically the same since you are new to smart phones. Also, you'll get a bigger screen if you care about that. iOS is also limited at the control you have, like setting default apps, customizing, and etc. Something you might not mind or dislike.

The Nexus 5 is the best cheapest smartphone if you plan on buying off contract.

The GS4, Note 2 & 3, and HTC One are also great choices.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I normally don't recommend iPhones for first time users. My reasoning behind it is, if someone wants extended functionality, it requires further investment of more apple products. By the time they are eligible to upgrade again, they'll realize they've invested too much to leave and the workarounds to transfer content over are not seamless in their eyes.

When it comes to ease of use for simple things such as text, photos and calls, any modern smartphone would perform well.

The other thing to take into consideration, regardless of which phone some chooses, they will have a learning curve, so why not try something that doesn't cement you into one ecosystem (APPLE).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.