Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

endlightend

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hey all, first time poster here.
Bought this
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-black-13-specs.html
Macbook in '06 and even after 5 years it was still kicking. It got knocked around in a bad car accident in '11 which killed my hard drive and changed the shape of the body so that it wouldn't take discs anymore. Instead of giving up on this thing I am switching out the new replacement HDD I got for it with a SSD and giving it as a work laptop to a friend. I also took out the Super Drive and want to find out if it still works- can someone tell me what connector I need to use to get it to plug into a USB? I am hearing terms like PATA/IDE thrown around, but I'm not sure which end is which. Thanks.

Last edited:

maz-o

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
There are some cheap chinese usb-housings for macbook superdrives on eBay. I paid less than 10 bucks including shipping for one (it was for a newer unibody though, don't know what dvd-drive that thing uses, might want to double check its compatibility)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.