Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
I just bought my new Hasswell rMBP a few days ago.

i was happy installing apps and stuff, but then i decided that i dont want too many apps in my laptop, so i performed a fresh install of Mavericks using the Internet Recovery option ( Cmd + R)

I reinstall Mavericks on my Macbook pro and everything went well, except for one thing: No more old iMovie in my apps!! i went to the app store and downloaded the new imovie 10, but i REALLY WANT the old iMovie.

Is there any way i can install old iMovie and still have at the same time the new iMovie in my applications folder?? like i used to have before i did the fresh install?

I would really appreciate any comment from you guys.

Konrad.

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
A bit off topic, but I bought my rMBP which came with iPhoto and iMovie and after fresh mavericks install both said goodbye, I went to App Store, but now I need to buy them so there is nothing I can do right?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If you log into the Mac App Store with the Apple ID that you registered your Mac with they should be available to download and install for free.

MST1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I would be grateful if anyone could confirm that this works. I want to do a fresh install of Mavericks after an aborted migration assistant left me with lots of partial files on my rMBP.

Konrad.

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I thought like checking app store and I was able to install iPhoto for free now, but I swear the day when I did fresh Mavericks install there was a price instead of install option and I couldn't get it for free.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I thought like checking app store and I was able to install iPhoto for free now, but I swear the day when I did fresh Mavericks install there was a price instead of install option and I couldn't get it for free.

Apparently early on after the release of Mavericks and the updated iLife and iWorks there were some issues with users not being able to download the apps for free and instead were shown that they were available for purchase, but it's my understanding that this issue has been resolved. See these articles for more details:

MacRumors: Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

MacRumors: Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife; Not Worried About Unethical Users

MST1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I tried a clean install yesterday and the iLife apps were still available to download for free in the 'purchased' tab of the App Store. I don't think it's fully glitch-free though: I accidentally clicked the 'x' button next to iMovie whilst it was downloading. It then disappeared from my purchases and appeared with a price under it in the store. Thankfully I was able to resume the download in launchpad (although it's still missing from my purchases list).

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Nevermind, i already fixed the problem:

-Did a clean install using internet recovery (CMD+R)

-Copy-paste imovie version 9.0.9 from my sister's macbook pro into my new late 2013 rMBP applications folder

-create a folder named iMovie 9.0.9 and moved the iMovie app from Application folder to iMovie 9.0.9 folder

-open the App Store and download the new iMovie 10 (which automatically installs itself in the Application folder)

And there you go! i have both iMovies, old and new, running at the same time in Mavericks!

Just my .2c ;)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Um, a clean install means you delete everything you have and replace it with new stuff. Bad idea if you want to keep old stuff. Airport Utility 5.6 would be another example of a program you don't want to delete by doing a clean install.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Um, a clean install means you delete everything you have and replace it with new stuff. Bad idea if you want to keep old stuff. Airport Utility 5.6 would be another example of a program you don't want to delete by doing a clean install.

It was a brand new 2013 rmbp anyway! i dont have any stuff to be replaced ... i all want was old version of imovie (9.0.9) and new version 10, installed. :)

1-prop-head

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
My solution to this problem after automatic updates broke iMovie ...

1. Remove the two directories in Movie directory created by iMovie13
2. Remove iMovie.app From the Applications Directory
3. Download iMovie 9.0.9 Update
4. Download unpkg.app
5. Use unpkg.app to uncompress iMovie.app out of the iMovie 9.0.9 Update.pkg
6. Copy iMovie.app from the Update directory to Applications Directory
Now it works just like it did before the update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.