Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rofl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Just got an iPad Air and I'm loving it so far. It's how I envisaged an iPad should have always been.

I'm using it naked as I love the weight, but can anyone please recommend me a lightweight iPad Air cover? I'm tempted to buy the smart cover from Apple, but it's a bit expensive and not sure how much it weighs. Perhaps even a sleeve would be a better option?

Thanks.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I know I may catch some flack for this, but I purchased a Samsung leather tablet sleeve that was for the Galaxy Tab 2 which was on clearance for $9.99 and it actually fits the iPad Air like a glove! Only drawback is the "SAMSUNG" logo stamped into the leather :eek:

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I like the smart covers because they are lightweight and easily removable. They provide good protection for setting the device down, and it's a nice touch to automatically unlock the device.

I have a sleeve for carrying it when traveling as well, but in practice I rarely use it.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I would also like a good cover. I don't know if I want to keep this Apple Smart Cover, especially at the price, when there are complete cases for cheaper out there.

Rofl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Some people seem to be reporting problems with 3rd party covers - something to do with the magnets not aligning properly.

At this rate, might have to go for the official cover just to err on the side of caution.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yeah, Apple changed the polarity/location of the wake/sleep magnets again so a few 3rd party manufacturers are having to scramble to correct this.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Some people seem to be reporting problems with 3rd party covers - something to do with the magnets not aligning properly.

At this rate, might have to go for the official cover just to err on the side of caution.

Poetic had this problem as well but for those who purchased the case before it was corrected they sent out a new case for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.