PDA

View Full Version : What's the name of your Mac?

eyelikeart
Jan 25, 2002, 05:11 PM
I just saw in someone's signature a list of Macs along with names for each....

so it got me thinking....

I call my TiBook "Mercury" (I know, unique :rolleyes:)
I call my G4 Tower "Boy Wonder" (inside joke :p)

DakotaGuy
Jan 25, 2002, 05:20 PM
Look in my signature for the names. Macky has been named since day 1. The good people here on macrumors helped me name my iBook Booker.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 25, 2002, 05:21 PM
I call mine all sorts of names if it doesn't do what I want it to...

...usually the unprintable kind.

Wash!!
Jan 25, 2002, 05:21 PM
Hi,
I call the one I use at work AKIRA
and the one at home Babylon 5

cheers

MaxRool
Jan 25, 2002, 05:26 PM
My current mac is named Geraldine.
But I've also had a Sharon, Harriet, Stephanie and a Michelle.:p
I've had others as well, but their names escape me.:(
Ahhh. The fond memeories

Nipsy
Jan 25, 2002, 05:28 PM
Beaster - 9600 (G4) primary workstation fully loaded with the 1TB MP3 array, six full slots, 3 monitors, and every peripheral known to man hangin' off
Loki - 9600 (G3) mischievious hardware troubleshooting machine
Speedy - 7600 (G3) file server
Eggdrop - iMac DV named after soup
PortaBrick - WallStreet

spuncan
Jan 25, 2002, 05:36 PM
Well my last named Mac was a Performa. My right now is call the big beige box that needs to be upgraded. :D

eyelikeart
Jan 25, 2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Look in my signature for the names. Macky has been named since day 1. The good people here on macrumors helped me name my iBook Booker.

actually, it was your signature I was first referring to.... ;)

loveshismac
Jan 25, 2002, 05:48 PM
My 2 boys are both named Eddie

one at work one at home

Eddie Vato is the full name
but you need to know mexican slang to understand!

loadbang
Jan 25, 2002, 05:52 PM
my ibook dvd is named "lapintosh"

kishba
Jan 25, 2002, 06:07 PM
I am proud of my naming scheme

My first mac was my powerbook g3 firewire (pismo) 400 that i lovingly called Apple Cider.

My Airport base station is named Apple Orchard (it makes sense if you think about it)

My G4 (quicksilver) is named Apple Crisp

And finally my iPod is named Apple Dumpling (it makes sense too)

I also helped my friends name theirs... my coworkers is Apple Juice

Classic
Jan 25, 2002, 06:15 PM
I call my dual 800 "The V8"
:D

SPG
Jan 25, 2002, 06:19 PM
G4 Tower at home:
Main Drive: The Mothership
other drives: Packrat, BigBooty, Whiner, JackKerowhack! (Firewire HD)

-=AsukA=-
Jan 25, 2002, 06:24 PM
i call my iMac DV SE (graphite) Speedy... yea i know its realy not speedy any more (well compaired to the new iMacs that is... but i get by) however slow it may be by todays standards i still love my iMac, and even if i did get a new computer i would NEVER sell or stop useing my iMac! (speedy that is)

TheAnswer
Jan 25, 2002, 06:40 PM
If I can remember right my Mac Classic was called "Silver Surfer"

Then my 7500 was called "Narcissus" (I think I had like 30-40 names I tried out on the 7500 before that one stuck to it).

Then my Beige G3 was called "Cloud"...then when I added a new drive with two partitions, whose became "Wind" and "Frost".

I for one am glad the G5's aren't out yet...as I still need to come up with some possible names. I think the toughest choice I'll have to make is whether or not to keep the names on the drive I move from the G3 into the G5.

mischief
Jan 25, 2002, 06:59 PM
My lime Rev D iMac was originally called "Big Green" but all that changed when a couple of foster-kittens played WWF across the keyboard. Now it's ".0" and I can't get it to change.

My G4 at work has two 60Gb drives : Zen (OS X.1.2 & compliant Apps.)

: Liberator (OS 9.2 & classic Apps.)

eyelikeart
Jan 25, 2002, 07:01 PM
my OS 9 partition is "cloud 9" & my OS X partition is "the 'X' files"

I also have a 10 gig firewire external that's still nameless...

cornelius
Jan 25, 2002, 07:25 PM
I named it "SmokieMadPot", and my partions macos 9 and macos x

GeeYouEye
Jan 25, 2002, 08:36 PM
Hal, Hal2, Hal 9000, Darth Vader, Macintosh HD
for
SE/30, G4, iMac DV+, Original LC, iBook DVD

Choppaface
Jan 25, 2002, 09:39 PM
'Twin Turbo' for g4 500 dualie gig RAM
'Wankel' (as in Felix Wankel) for g3 400 lombard PB

-=AsukA=-
Jan 25, 2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by cornelius
I named it "SmokieMadPot", and my partions macos 9 and macos x

LOL

Yea a fellow stoner! By day i call my iMac Speedy, however on special ocations hes into some mad cheba! the iMac looks funny with a lit joint in its "mouth" (slotloading DVD-ROM drive) and even better with itunes visuals on at the same time!

mangis
Jan 25, 2002, 10:08 PM
My bronze powerbook is Diana

Beej
Jan 25, 2002, 10:18 PM
My 7200/120 w/ 17" is called "Big Mac"

My Mac Plus is called "Mac Fossil"

My G4 400 is called "Pobblebonk"

<--! end any creativeness whatsoever -->

My Wallstreet G3 PB is used as a server and is called "Server"

My iBook is called "iBook"

My 3400 is called "3400"

My PB 150s (all 7 of them) are called "PB150"

And can I just say that people who name their HDs or computers after star trek/star wars characters or things are lame!

MacAztec
Jan 25, 2002, 10:26 PM
Hehe, my iMac is name Columbus. That was apples nickname for it. I am going to overclock it to a 400, and i dont know what its new name will be.:D

teabgs
Jan 25, 2002, 11:36 PM
I like to tell it how it is. My computer's called "the all mighty" She was at one time, but alas the 6500 PPC just doesnt have the same fire any more.... What to name the (future) G5...

ilikeiBook
Jan 27, 2002, 07:40 PM
Here are the names of my macs:

iBook 300 - Hermes
Performa 6400 - Guru
Mac IIsi - T. Rex

Six
Jan 27, 2002, 08:13 PM
I call my iMac 233 "Donkey"

I call it that because she's slow, but I have a large load on her back... A CF reader, a handspring cradle, 5 piece speaker system, scanner, superdisk drive, cd rw, keyboard, mouse, cable modem, hub and a printer. (All of these are external, so my desk has gotten cluttered)

madsh
Jan 27, 2002, 09:32 PM
It all started out with an old win-box named Atreju, after the guy in the neverending story...

Then came the linux-box named Strangelove after the german sciencetist...

And somehow my new TiBook ended up yelling bad things after the rest of the machines, smoking alot and hand a taste for alcohol (mostly for cleaning the lcd...) hence Bender!

TEG
Jan 27, 2002, 09:33 PM
Well living in the PC world for 12 years and working on all these Macs with names, I never understood why. That is untill I purchased my TiBook in June. I quickly realized why we need that comfort. My machine would hang all the time when I first started to use it, then I gave it the name TEG's Computer, then TEG's G4, (And it worked perfectly) and when I went to college, everyone had their nickname as the name for their PC on the network. Well I deciced to give a name to my computer that says something about me..... Waipahu. I was born in Honolulu, and I wanted people to know of my Hawaiian backgroung, so Waipahu was born, or course with OS9 I didn't dare change the name of the HD considering the lesson I learned doing that in OS8.6 at school. So when I go fed up with nopt being able to install stuff in OSX because Apple Partitioned my HD, I decided to Wipe it and make one Big Happy Waipahu. So Now I have A TiBook 500/256/20 Named Waipahu with HD Waipahu. I still trying to think of a name when I buy a tower..... Maybe Rainier, or Snohomish, or ... or...or.

-------
The Day I don't Own a Mac is the day when Apple changes the Product line to Braeburns...... Then I'll own a Braeburn

whfsdude
Jan 27, 2002, 09:52 PM
I named my startup disk Special Someone and my 80 gig external The Monolith and my 20 gig full of mp3s The Voices. I aready have enough trouble giving my nice imac to my sister so I'm not going to name it. You know I have always called my computers my girlfriends, I wonder why the keyboards have hated me;)

ponyboy
Jan 27, 2002, 10:23 PM
I have named my computes and all external drives after ex-girfriends:

Blue & White G3---Janie
TiBook/500---Niki
TiBook HD---Caroline
iPod---Kate
Firewire HD---Christina

And since I dont need any new HDs and I just broke up with my lady:) that must mean that the G5s are right around the corner and I have a name all picked out.

lordsinforge
Jan 27, 2002, 11:47 PM
I call my present iBook (500Mhz) Prometheus

While the hard drive on my old iBook was Lucifer's Piano.
And I have a USB outboard HD with two partitions called Baal's Trumpet and Mephisto's Fiddle.

Hemingray
Jan 28, 2002, 12:57 AM
My computer has always been named HAL 9000. (Original, I know. :rolleyes: ) After I made the move to OS X, I created two partitions, so now I have HAL 9000 (for OS 9) and HAL X. HAL is currently a G4 400 PCI. Before that he was a Umax C500 *shudder!*. I'm looking forward to moving "him" into a G5 soon. :)

(I'm sorry, Dave... I'm afraid I can't wait that long...)

atodd
Jan 28, 2002, 02:46 AM
I name my startup disk after my cat: Rubart.

The slave drive is called "Sauron". Because I like power.

My PowerBook's drive is called Lap-in-Mac.

the bondi iMac is called Boogoly-boil. (don't ask).

My old powerbook was named The Dust Collector. (before it died, it now collects dust on my shelf)

FireWire drive = Sewage Slime (because of the misc crap I keep in there)

aafuss
Feb 23, 2002, 05:04 AM
This computer is called "Babya 375" and my laptop "PB1400"

irmongoose
Feb 23, 2002, 05:34 AM
well.. I named my new imac Nestor, and my iPod Snowy.

Don't know what I mean? Read some Tintin books...

irmongoose

irmongoose
Feb 23, 2002, 05:37 AM
here...

irmongoose

ooartist
Feb 24, 2002, 08:40 PM
Macimus like Maximus from the movie Gladiator.

ooartist

Beej
Feb 24, 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ponyboy
I have named my computes and all external drives after ex-girfriends...
You're strange. :) Don't you want to erase them and make them do something useful? :D

I've just got a new Quicksilver 933, so I think I'll call it QAg.

oldMac
Feb 25, 2002, 12:38 AM
That naming scheme rocks. Good to hear G5s are on their way... *laughing*

My machine is named "BlueTone"
Hard drives are "Andromeda" and "Copernicus".

I always tell my girlfriend that I want to name my kids "Andromeda" and "Copernicus". She doesn't seem real thrilled with that idea... I don't think that she's ever realized those are my HD names.

My PC is named "Bill". And, of course, The D drive is shared as "billyd" (a tribute to Eddie Murphy as much as to Billy D. himself.)

SilverGun
Feb 25, 2002, 01:12 AM
Well, up until a month ago I had a G4 desktop, a G4 Ti, and a G3 iBook. Now all I have left is a G4 Desktop. The name say's it all and it is called "SilverGun", because it is Silver and it is Loaded. It shoots down the competition (i.e. WinDell). Ultimate G4 DVD Authoring Studio: SilverGun

moby1
Feb 25, 2002, 02:44 AM
I never got into the habit of naming my Macs until recently.

I chose the name Autolycus for the iPod - from Greek mythology - not after the charachter on 'Xena'.

1000 songs - how'd ya think it got all those...

mymemory
Feb 25, 2002, 08:02 AM
My G4 tower I call it "the G4" or "the big stuff".
And my Pismo I call it "the G3, the poooooowerbook!", or sometime I calle it the "little wonder".

ivtrk
Feb 27, 2002, 03:33 AM

rEd Eye
Feb 27, 2002, 03:42 AM
Hadn't really thought about it,but there is something that I yell out really loud everytime I crash it.......:D

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"FK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Isn't that soooo cute?

eric_n_dfw
Mar 1, 2002, 10:14 AM
Blue & White G3: Ivanava (gotta love those curves!)
With Hard Drives: Earth (Mac OS 9), Centauri Prime (OS X), Minbar (Data), Mars & Narn (FCP scratch drives)

PMac 7300: Geribaldi (used to run my firewall on him)

A Quadra 605 called DraziAmbassador and 5 Mac LC III's that I call Drazi1, Drazi2 ... (I was experimenting with MkLinux clustering)

I also have a now dead Intel Windows/Linux box I named Bester.

agp
Mar 1, 2002, 11:02 AM
My iPod is called 'Dennis'

A private joke since my pet snake is named 'Les'

Therefore 'Les Dennis' :)

Hear Les Dennis here. (http://www.yaketyyak.co.uk/Celebs%20pages/LesDennis.htm)

Spock
Mar 1, 2002, 11:08 AM
I call my iBook...........iBook!!!

eyelikeart
Mar 1, 2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Spock
I call my iBook...........iBook!!!

now that's what I call original! :p

kishba
Mar 1, 2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Blue & White G3: Ivanava (gotta love those curves!)
With Hard Drives: Earth (Mac OS 9), Centauri Prime (OS X), Minbar (Data), Mars & Narn (FCP scratch drives)

PMac 7300: Geribaldi (used to run my firewall on him)

A Quadra 605 called DraziAmbassador and 5 Mac LC III's that I call Drazi1, Drazi2 ... (I was experimenting with MkLinux clustering)

I also have a now dead Intel Windows/Linux box I named Bester.

babylon 5 was a great show... i appreciate your naming scheme!

your mac os x drive should be something else though, perhaps b5 since it is the last great hope for computers...

anyways i like it!

Deadalus
Mar 1, 2002, 03:54 PM
I have yet to own a Mac. My first computer was the Commodore Vic20 which in 3 months became a waste when my grade school got brand new Apple IIc's which I fondly named the one I was assigned to "Incredable" french pronounciation of Incredible!!! which it truly was way back then.

My family was less fortunate than most, and since I've been working in the PC world, I had to own a PC--one given to me by work, only graphic designers got an Apple--lucky devils!!

By July this year I'm going to own a Dual Ghz G4 and I will be calling it H.A.R.D.A.C from the Batman cartoons if anyone remembers!

And I'll have to adjust my ISP and games to adjust for the new experience I've longed for since my neighbor owned the Apple IIc+ you know the one with the monitor on a tilt stand that looked like a "C" with the middle facing you while the computer itself was tilted upward from the back--it was a limited release model.

HARDAC or even the sound an Italian makes in giving a greeting kiss, ya know HmmmmMuahh!!

It deserves it no less!!

Cheers

macopia
Mar 1, 2002, 04:41 PM
I was having problems configuring Samba so when I finally got it working correctly, I named my computer SAMBA. I know, I know, how original?

My Airport network is named Scooby. If I ever get a PowerMac G5 I'll probably call it Shaggy.

Brian