PDA

View Full Version : Sold eMac, do I need to format the hd?

noel4r
Dec 13, 2005, 12:43 AM
Hello all, I just sold my eMac at ebay. It's the first computer I've ever sold and I'm wondering what I should do with the hard drive. Should I format it or just leave it alone. There isn't any personal info there that I should worry about. Also, I would appreciate it if you can give any advice on packing and shipping. I will use UPS to ship it. Thanks.

Eidorian
Dec 13, 2005, 12:51 AM
Do a Clean Installation but don't put in any registration information. Just stop the computer there and turn it off. When they boot it up they'll just put their info in and set it up as theirs.

GorillaPaws
Dec 13, 2005, 01:00 AM
Since there's nothing pesonal on there you're probably fine, but incase you wanted to wipe the Hard Disk, you put in the install dvd, and then select disk utility from the menu. From there you can erase a drive and under "options" (I think, maybe it's "security"), you can choose to 0 out the drive, and there are several versions of that. It'll take some time but you don't have to be standing there when it's happening. Just some info for you or anyone else.

ALvie
Dec 13, 2005, 01:33 AM
Not only should you do a clean install but you are supposed to send the OS software with the computer. That is only on a Mac on a PC format the drive and send it with Command Com installed only. No software.

ALvie

ortuno2k
Dec 13, 2005, 01:38 AM
You could format it and stop it at the registration page, like Eidorian says.
It provides the new owner a "new computer" experience :)