Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I've got a Galaxy S4 and had it for 3 months and there hasn't been one single update for it.

KitKat 4.4 is out, I have realised my software is behind the times. I went to Settings > More > About Device > Software Update and tried to OTA update but it said I had the 'latest firmware already'.

How can I update to anything more than 4.2.2?

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
4.3 is rolling out these days, go to Sammobile and check if it's out for your country already.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Oh how annoying. Why would Google funnel their OTA updates? To stop server overload or?

Server overload and also as a precaution in case there is a bug in an update (which has happened before). That way, there are less people that are potentially affected if any issues slip through.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Oh how annoying. Why would Google funnel their OTA updates? To stop server overload or?

In your case, Samsung is the problem. Google released 4.3 pretty much immediately after it was announced. I'm not sure if 4.4 has been released yet though.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I've got a Galaxy S4 and had it for 3 months and there hasn't been one single update for it.

KitKat 4.4 is out, I have realised my software is behind the times. I went to Settings > More > About Device > Software Update and tried to OTA update but it said I had the 'latest firmware already'.

How can I update to anything more than 4.2.2?

are you knew to android? nexus devices get newest android first,they have google build the os around the nexus device and it takes months if not a full year after for all other cells to get it.

source just got released and now all the oems will make a version of there own skinned 4.4.

even the galaxy s5 wont ship with 4.4 and will get it a few months after just like the other galaxy phones that got updated later.

nexus devices are always 8 months ahead of everyone else

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
are you knew to android? nexus devices get newest android first,they have google build the os around the nexus device and it takes months if not a full year after for all other cells to get it.

source just got released and now all the oems will make a version of there own skinned 4.4.

even the galaxy s5 wont ship with 4.4 and will get it a few months after just like the other galaxy phones that got updated later.

nexus devices are always 8 months ahead of everyone else

I am indeed new to Android. Would it be possible to root my S4 and run KitKat 4.4? I hate all the Samsung added rubbish.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I am indeed new to Android. Would it be possible to root my S4 and run KitKat 4.4? I hate all the Samsung added rubbish.

Hop on to XDA and look for the forums for your specific model number. You will normally find a listing of all roms for that device in the stickies in the General section. Find the one that appeals to you and flash it.

And until Samsung releases 4.4 for the S4, I doubt that there will be a fully functional KitKat build for the S4. So if it is KitKat that your are after, you will have to wait.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

No not yet it wont be until about 1 or 2 weeks until kitKat based roms come out. Samsung takes time to roll out updates (region by region) for their phones its not like Apple who do it all at once, this website has a list of where 4.3 is available.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
keep in mind if you run vanilla 4.4 you will lose a lot of the gs4 features and the new galaxy gear wont work either.

Samsung will take 4.4 source and add all there coding to it for the extra features the galaxy phones have.

none of the camera tracking will work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.