Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Mail Update for Mavericks 1.0, a software update designed to enhance compatibility with Gmail accounts, as well as several other improvements. The update entered testing last week and addresses a number of complaints about changes Apple made in Mavericks Mail.

mavericks_mail_update.jpg
Mail Update for Mavericks includes improvements to general stability and compatibility with Gmail, including the following:

- Fixes an issue that prevents deleting, moving, and archiving messages for users with custom Gmail settings
- Addresses an issue that may cause unread counts to be inaccurate
- Includes additional fixes that improve the compatibility and stability of Mail
Full information on the update, including Apple's recommendations about backing up before applying the update, are included in an Apple support document. The update is available via the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mail Update for Mavericks to Address Gmail Issues

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
This patch helps quite a bit. But keep in mind, after you install it, it will take some time as Mail.app does all the syncs, etc. It took about an hour and then my Mail.app was back to the way it was pre-Mavericks.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
this is the first time I think that mail updated on its own.
usually with OS point release. Good stuff.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The biggest bug I've had so far in Mavericks would be multitouch gestures and the two-finger horizontal scrolling. It seems to happen a lot in Launchpad, and it's 100% consistent in third-party applications such as µTorrent.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
My mail rebuilt itself in a matter of seconds.

My gmail hardly gets used these days, though. I only keep it as a spam trap.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Fingers crossed this solves my problems... I care little about gmail, but I do know that all of my personal domain IMAP's have been a total shambles, admittidly 15GB of email across about 15 years.

I have been patiently force quitting at least a dozen times a day to get by.

My Macbook Air wasn't as bad I presume the SSD helped matters somehow.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
Sad to say that this update didn't solve our problem. Apple seem to have removed the feature to unsubscribe to shared IMAP folders. Instead you subscribe to all. At work, it means downloading 5.5 million mail directly after upgrading to Mavericks, and receiving between 1000 and 2000 mail daily. Spotlight seems to have troubles indexing this ammount too so Smart Folders just stopped working in Mail… Sad. this is a feature that's been there since at least 10.2 and our company relies on it quite heavily as you can imagine.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Couldn't help notice, but shouldn't it be

Mail Update 1.0 for Mavericks

And not

Mail Update for Mavericks 1.0

Mavericks isn't 1.0 it's technically 10.9. ???

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I get 3 notifications for each new gmail message. Known problem? Any fix? Does this update fix it?

radioactive

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
Doesn't install on first GM:

Mail Update for Mavericks can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
does apple usually leave us in the dark when it comes to these? we'll still get an 10.9.1 update right?

Not sure about the 10.9.1 update, but it'd be so much easier to just "purchase" the version from the store. It costs nothing and you'll definitely see updates afterward.

----------

Doesn't install on first GM:

Mail Update for Mavericks can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update

Maybe it's a sign to get the actual release version?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I weened myself off of Gmail since the Mavericks release and now only have my own domain email account and the .mac account in Mail.

I see this update, again, broke my GPGMail encryption plugin. :(

has.marvel

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
Well, this update was a massive fail for me. I started mail back up after the update, it opened my main gmail account mailbox, removed a bunch of notes that I had removed from my iPad and then it removed every note in my inbox. And I can't see any of them anymore. Thankfully they are still out on gmail and on my iPad. Come on guys, did you even bother to test this? Test? Test? We don't need no stinkin test!

Well okay, I got my inbox and the rest of the mail account back. I had to go delete it and recreate it to get it back. A lot of downloading of data for no good reason. Hopefully it will now work correctly (like it did for me in Mountain Lion)

Last edited:

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Couldn't help notice, but shouldn't it be

Mail Update 1.0 for Mavericks

And not

Mail Update for Mavericks 1.0

Mavericks isn't 1.0 it's technically 10.9. ???
I suppose it should really be

Mail Update for Mavericks, 1.0

But then it's a software update not an english exam.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think the fact that people are still having problems with Gmail is a sign... that people need to drop Gmail as quickly as possible. This is the second major company (Microsoft isn't having much luck with Gmail either) that has had to bend over backwards because something "breaks Gmail support".

:|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.