Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cascade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Salzburg
Apple MUST come up right NOW with just "one more thing"! Read the comments on this powerpage.org thread and even You will "Think Different" again.
We Don´t need another fancy lifestylish device made out of brushed steel, featuring oversized earbudds.
Give us the long awaited and highly needed extra gray matter to get our everyday work (from browsing the web throughout production of high-end 3D-Animation) done in a competitive way.
Not to mention worse customer support, broken and scratched TiBook and Cube enclosures and the charging of extra bucks for shareware-like iApps that provide OS corefeatures like playing Music, burning CD-R/DVD-R and processing DV. Are there any 3rd party alternatives left for doing these tasks on a Mac? Nope! Cause Apple bought them all (last victim eMagic). I feel like caught in a trap as Apple is begining to raise a .net-like pseudo-monopoly.

I just hope for somebody at Apple starting to "Think Different" again. There is a core Mac user group out there - pushed by a three-year-lasting "Switch to PC" campaign.. It´s the thousands of graphics designers, architects, engineers and creatives relying lethaly on competitive speed at a fair price. Get us this 670s NOW!

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
And another thing, Apple has no plans to charge for CD burning or iTunes. Maybe you should read the actual rumors before shooting your mouth off and making an ass of yourself.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Last Exit MWSF03: Apple loosing substantial grip vs. WIntel in professional arena

Originally posted by cascade

Give us the long awaited and highly needed extra gray matter to get our everyday work (from browsing the web throughout production of high-end 3D-Animation) done in a competitive way.
Introducing the iBrain

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
the 670???

perhaps you're referring to the IBM PowerPC 970 starting at 1.6GHz with 2 SIMD Units and a 933MHz sysbus? IBM expects production volumes, at earliest, late 2003.

Simple fact is, Apple can't obtain much faster chips until that time.

As for the iApps, there have been no official announcements about any pricing plans. It is rumored that Apple may start charging for some of the iApps, but hey -- people will just pirate them anyways.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Gee I wasn't aware Apple had bought out all of the 3rd party software companies.....yep all that's left is Apple..........

Come on, get your **** straight and do some research before coming on here and starting a rant.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-man says...."sniff sniff....what's that smell.....troll!" Oh yeah!
Duff-man, you sure about that?

Sort of reminds me of
attachment.php

But I haven't taken any allergy pills today, so it's hard to smell anything right now.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Duff-man, you sure about that?

Sort of reminds me of
attachment.php

But I haven't taken any allergy pills today, so it's hard to smell anything right now.
Duff-Man says "poop, troll...there's a difference?" Oh Yeah!

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
brushed metal life-style device

and the iPod is not brushed metal. it is nice and shiny stainless or maybe nickel plated. the iApps are brushed metal, but apparently there is a hack to get rid of it.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
if anything...

...we will really start seeing professional apps, you know, the Big Iron Unix stuff, when the 970 arrives...

Look for Apple inroads in financial, medical, engineering, science and higher education markets at that time, not to mention servers...

I suppose a 670 is the PDA OSX Lite halfling processor, if you really want to start a bogus rumor.

I love this sky-is-falling BS. It really livens up the place.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
You guys really remind me of the good old days back in grade school!
You make me want to sell my Mac and and get a computer like those that "mature" "thoughtful" "considerate" people use..........A PC by the sounds of the blinded by the Mac wimpering,and general lack of respect for anyone with a different viewpoint around here!
I'm really growing to not like this site because it's infested with self-rightious a$$holes who look down their noses at all the "lesser" beings whom may wander this way!!!!
GROW UP!!!

leghorn

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2002
oregon
I think there is some appropriateness to the post it's just how it's phrased as though the forum could twist somebody's arm.

It's completely legitmate to see the hardware spec gap perpetually widening between PC and MAC and for consumers it's discouraging, but for professional (w/ competing business) it could be more desperate.

Maybe this is why the Switch campaign is targeting consumers, since consumers have more of a luxury to choose between form and function (or is it the other way around).

Thing is, is when do you stop buying Macs?

I'd like to think if the G5 isn't out by August (when I buy next system) I would look into a PC.
In part due to performance, in part to the whole .mac/ and now (tenatively) pay-per-iApp.

But I can see myself buying a 1.25 GHz 100 MHz bus eMac in August, even though I could probably buy a 3.5 GHz 533 MHz bus PC.

I'm sick that way.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
pretty lame reason to sell your Mac redeye.

you could just stop coming to macrumors. Like a lot of the other mature people who used to come here. You are right it is pretty juvenile sometimes.

but the original poster was just a bit too wacky. there seems to be a lot of trolling going on, some of it really crude. this seems to be one of them.
the '670' reference seems to be a bit of a belittling thing rather than a typo or just ignorance, and then the slag of the brushed metal appearance theme. seems like a crude troll to me.

a real reason other PC users might not buy a mac-
the mhz thing, myth or not Apple itself says it is hurting sales. why would anyone switch when it means giving up speed? that is the perception out there. I don't like the brushed metal thing either. But I do like the iPod, and I think that is a big part of Apples success in the future, high design value premium products and the OS, and not so much hardware.

If someone comes here and shows just a bit of knowledge or evidence of having done thier homework, I am willing to have a civil conversation and or help them. the original post showed neither.

Nemesis

macrumors regular
Factor 4

Like it or not, numbers speak for themselves.

That guy probably thought about PPC 970, and I have thought I would find a little bit more wisdom and understanding coming from this Mac community that responded to the article.

Well, like it or not, hottest P4 Intel machine running Windows in certain applications outperforms hottest PowerMac substantially! Sometimes by factor 2.

And at the same time, that Wintel machine can be assembled for 1/2 the price of the hottest PowerMac. That is also factor 2.

So, actually, we are talking about factor 4, which says that by purchasing a PC running hottest Intel P4 and Windows you get a 4 times better deal that by purchasing a PowerMac.

And that's HUGE, dear ladies and gentlemen.

As for the speed, by Moore's law we Mac users are already at least 18 months behind latest P4s (because they lead us by factor 2).

As for the price, we Mac users are about ... 3-5 years behind. Because 3-5 years ago the hottest PCs were priced as today's PowerMacs.

So, I think, most of us still live 3-5 years in the past, even if buying a brand new PowerMac.

I hope something will change.
But my reasoning is telling me that all my hopes are in vain.
Nothing will change. There is no magical solution, because only magic can help us dealing with Factor 4.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
On top of everything this ranting and raving this guy did wasn't even placed in the right place. This is not a hardware rumor. Come on people it's not that hard.

As to reply to his post. There really is no reply. He is obviously so frustrated that he can't see the forrest for the trees. He's all upset with rumors. Last I heard rumors were based somewhat in fiction. No one knows what Apple is doing with the iApps. Also if he needs the speed that much, he must need it to make money and in that situation he should just switch and get it over with. No need to whine and cry and make yourself look like an idiot in front of others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.