Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Ok here is the deal I own a bto 27-inch iMac and my mom was having a lot of issues using her windows laptop for her work. I let her borrow my iMac and she fell in love with the ease of use of osx. Now she wants a Mac laptop. Iam unfamiliar with macs laptops. Not sure what would fit her better.

She does mostly light use. But she does have a nikon dslr and I know the pic files are big. She also wants one that can handle hd video editing. I think Mac book pro. But the air battery life is very appealing. I assume with the air it is not user upgradable for ram ssd etc. I could've wrong. I would like something that will last for her. Would prefer user upgradable. Not a must though.

So do you feel a air would be better suited. Or stick with a pro? Does the air have enough power for hd video editing. Short videos nothing crazy. Any thoughts options would help. Thanks

ccapman670

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
New Orleans / Baton Rouge
What video editing program? Adobe? For video edting and a lot of photo work I would get the Pro. The air is great for battery life and portability but the new rMBP's are also getting insane battery life with Haswell. Unfortunately the ram in the new retina MBP's is also soldered in and isn't user upgradeable..

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Really?!? No user upgradable ram on the pros now that's not really not a pro then. I will look and see how bad apple jacked price on ram hopefully not to bad. For software I beleave she uses adobe.

ccapman670

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
New Orleans / Baton Rouge
Really?!? No user upgradable ram on the pros now that's not really not a pro then. I will look and see how bad apple jacked price on ram hopefully not to bad. For software I beleave she uses adobe.

They still sell the regular pro which you can but the new retina MBP can't be upgraded. They removed the CD drive on the retina and it's a lot thinner and lighter. You can see both models on their website.

yosemit

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
I have a full-frame Canon DSLR that produces ~30MB files. :( The Air has no problem with lightroom and those files. Air is good enough for picture/video editing, though not super fast. The 13-in Pro has about the same performance as the Airs. The 15-in Pro will make a visible difference.

So do you feel a air would be better suited. Or stick with a pro? Does the air have enough power for hd video editing. Short videos nothing crazy. Any thoughts options would help. Thanks

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
I have a full-frame Canon DSLR that produces ~30MB files. :( The Air has no problem with lightroom and those files. Air is good enough for picture/video editing, though not super fast. The 13-in Pro has about the same performance as the Airs. The 15-in Pro will make a visible difference.

Good to know! I know she loves the look and feel of the air. Just wasn't sure if it could handle the hd video end of things.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I still use my old version of Final Cut Pro on my 2013 i7/8gb/512gb MBA and it works great with professional full HD video (Sony XDCAM EX). But before I got it, I used the same software on my 2011 i5/4gb/256gb MBA and it also worked great. Only real difference is that the 2013 MBA is faster at rendering. The MBA is great for travel because it's so small and light.

Before I got the 2011 MBA I had been using a 2008 15" MBP c2d 2.3ghz and also a 24" iMac c2d 3ghz. The 2011 MBA smoked both of these machines with CPU nearly twice as fast and SSD vastly faster. The 2013 machines are even faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.