Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2002
Belgium
Hello there you all,

Ever since I upgraded to Mavericks I have this little annoyance in Mail.

I have several mail accounts of the POP type and I have next to the normal mail addresses linked on these accounts an alias.

These aliases are in mail as 'non active' accounts, giving me an inbox, a sent, a junk and a trash even for the aliases.

Since the upgrade (without any changes to the settings) the alias accounts are being solicited when Mail is launched. Since there are no login or passwords filled in I get a 'Mail can't connect to to the account "alias" message' that prompts me to fill in the password.
Ignoring the message gives me the same message for the next alias I have.

It only does this on launch, when mail tries to retrieve new mails the next time (after the delay in preferences) it only retrieves the active mailboxes.

The advanced setting in Mail preferences stating 'include when automatically checking for new messages' in the past prevented an attempt to retrieve mail for this alias, not only when 'automatically checking for new messages' but also on Mail launch.
Since Mavericks this is no longer the case, so as I launch mail (via login items or at another moment) I am presented the password window over and over.

And before someone suggests, yes, I did try to fill in the login password fields for the alias accounts but you can guess what happens then, all mails are put in the alias as in the normal accounts leaving me with all the mails in both inboxes.
To be complete; I used rules to separate the mails to the alias account from those to the normal account but obviously this does not work as before when mail tries to download all mails to both mailboxes as it does now...

I searched this forum and elsewhere, but until now no luck :confused:

Anyone having the same issue, did you find a solution?
I hoped the mail upgrade some days ago would have solved my problem but i did not :(

Last edited:

JD2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2002
Belgium
No one???

... has experienced this?
I read about all sorts of problems with mail but until now nothing like mine.
The update did not fix my problem that's for sure...:confused:

Damfino

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Any updates correct this?

JD2:

I was wondering if any of the updates have corrected this issue for you. I would like to move away from Outlook for Mac and use Apple Mail, but I also have many aliases and need to make sure they will work properly.

-Rodney

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.