Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i wanted to start designing and making web pages (my sister let me have her Dreamweaver MX) and was wondering how the scripts work with the different OS's. if any of you are still in school, i'm sure you guys have heard of the website ratemyprofessor.com. almost everyone at my school goes on this website before they register for their classes.
well, i was looking for a script like this one, and the only one i could find said it runs on the windows/unix platform but i'm not really sure what that means.
does anyone know where i can find a script like this that is compatible with OS X? TIA.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It depends on what type of script it is. If it is Perl, it is compatible with any platform Perl runs on. If it is PHP, then it is compatible with a web server that PHP supports.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Do you know of another site that acts like ratemyprofessor? The site could have been done inhouse(i.e they made all their own scripts with no intention of sharing). I think you could make a reasonable script on your own with just a bit of effort. You figure at the core of this script its just taking averages. So its always keeping a running total in one variable and dividing by count(table entries). The functional logic is simple, it's just the managing the logins and customizations that make it a bit complex. I say give it a try. Oh and what exactly are you trying to do sitewise that you'd need something just like theirs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.