Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I just bought a new 111 GB HD for my mini, but when I want to install OS X the installer says I can't install on the harddrive! It shows the HD icon with a '!' inside a red octagon in the lower right corner of the icon.
Am I forgetting something? I tried to format in both Mac OS (Journaled) and Mac OS (HFS+) but that didnt help.

Advise is badly needed!

thanks in advance,
kris

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Its best to format with journaling on.

Are you using the discs that shipped with the mini? do you have any third party ram, if so pull it. I would also go back into the mini and check for loose connectors.

Can you boot off of the installer disk, quit the installer and see the drive?

minimax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
@Mad Jew

when I used disk utility everything was fine, it's just when I return from the disk utility to the OSX installer that I get the '!' icon that says I can't install on that volume.

@Passante I'm using the official Mac Mini install disc yes

I doubt it's the RAM, this has nothing to do with it and the RAM worked fine before.

Should a clean new HD just work when I put it in the mac or should I do something with it beforehand?

I hope there is nothing wrong with the HD :( :( :( :(

btw can I call Apple about this??

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sorry, but just to clarify, you formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (named it and erased it) and it gave you this exclamation mark?

It could potentially be a RAM problem, but I really doubt it.

Do you think there may be a loose connection inside the mini?

minimax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
mad jew said:
Sorry, but just to clarify, you formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (named it and erased it) and it gave you this exclamation mark?

It could potentially be a RAM problem, but I really doubt it.

Yes (although I'm not sure what you mean with erase)
i formatted it both as Journaled and then again as HFS+.
Everything seems to be fine in the Disk Utility, it is just when I exit the Disk Utility and return to the OSX installer, where you have to click the volume that you want to install on that it says I can't install on the volume(s)...

I really made sure the HD was connected in a good fashion (you need to if you want to screw it on the frame of the mini). I have enough experience inside the mini to be fairly certain I did not forget something. If I can partition the HD, acces both the HD and use the combodrive, it really seems unlikely to be a hardware issue.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Can't remember, but maybe you have to shut it off and start again? I don't think you do, but it might be worth a try.

What I mean by erase, is format. For me, Disk Utility says Erase when I want to format something so that I have to select the format type from a drop down menu and then click Erase. :)

minimax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I guess i could try again. This just freaks the hell out of me :(

Can I call Apple about this?

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Is it possible that the Mac Mini install disks expect a certain hardware configuration? I know a few PeeCee manufacturers that do this so that thier resore disks cant be used to put Windows on an unauthorized computer.

Do you have a regular OSX install disk set around to use instead of the restore set?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.