Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
On the fence with the two of these systems, but does anyone know if the new MBA has the PCIE type storage or is that just the rMBP.

I am looking at the 13" units with the 8GB and 512GB scenario, I do like the Retina display and how the rMBP feels a little more sturdy, but I just cna not decide which one is best, and I prefer a refurb so I save a ton of money over the cost of new.

I am giving my son my 2013 MBP 13" 8GB 256SSD for school i5 2.5

Kartram

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Both have PCIe. Difference between the two is just the screen, most people wont notice the other things that are different between the two.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Interesting to see all the benchmarks she posted for all those models, doesn't seem the 2013 rMBP 13 blows the 2013 MBA 13 or 2012 rMBP 13 away, they are all relatively close.

I think I am going to go with the Refurbished rMBP 13 in the 8GB/256 or 512GB config when they are available. I had a 2012 MBA 13 and returned it for my 2012 MBP 13 that I have now. Now if the 11 MBA had retina and 8gb/512GB config it would be simple for me, as I like the more portable device but the 13 has always been my favorite model, and the 13 rMBP with 8/256 seems to be a perfect match as I use external storage anyway.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
i went for the MBA today because sick of reading about UI lag on retina, i thought it was too much risk.

I was also swayed by BTO pre-configs reading for shipping in 24 hours! should get mine tomorrow

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Me neither. Used best for retina and 1400x900 with 10 applications open. Cannot get it to lag.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I picked the Air, I had a 13" cMBP beforehand with an SSD, and the Air is absolutely beautiful, wouldn't change it for the retina now.
My friend had a retina for 21 days and returned it for the Air.

Flowiee

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
Everyone has it's own opinion about this subject. There are several Air vs rMBP threads, and also one from me.

Im still going back and forward between the both. I really like the battery life of the Air (I will get the i7/8/256) but the rMBP also has nice things like Retina display and the better graphics card.
Im not going to do heavy gaming, only Guildwars 2 and maybe some Steam games but not that much.
The left side of my brains says; take the Air, the right side says; take the rMBP.

For me it's a choice I almost cannot take, still going back and forward for 1-2 months now..

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
I've always owned a 15" Powerbook followed by the MBP because I believed I should buy the most powerful laptop I could afford for longevity and resale value, work load usability and all that stuff :rolleyes: I hardly ever took them out because I quickly got fed up with the weight (added to with all my other gear) and the battery life unpredictability.

This year I have decided to get my first MBA i7/256GB/8GB ram which is replacing my mid 2012 15" MBP because I want something lighter with a longer battery life so I can write at a cafe or park and generally use my laptop for what it's suppose to be for.

At the end of the day it's your decision and people will have varying opinions which may only confuse you further. Get what suits your needs the most and enjoy it. Either way you'll have a dependable and long lasting laptop.

Fallingreason

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Just bought a 13" MBPr and returned within a week for an air (which I had previously)

Retina machine felt like a pig compared to the air even with the new form factor. The one time you won't notice the size/weight difference is when its in your bag with a bunch of other stuff.

The UI on the retina is still more choppy and not smooth compared to the air. Especially when you scale the resolution to the air's 1440*900, the performance really takes a hit.

I'm glad to be back on an air. BTW if you are considering the base 13", they are $929 refurbished right now. great deal.

sysProgrammer

macrumors member
Just bought a 13" MBPr and returned within a week for an air (which I had previously)

Retina machine felt like a pig compared to the air even with the new form factor. The one time you won't notice the size/weight difference is when its in your bag with a bunch of other stuff.

The UI on the retina is still more choppy and not smooth compared to the air. Especially when you scale the resolution to the air's 1440*900, the performance really takes a hit.

I'm glad to be back on an air. BTW if you are considering the base 13", they are $929 refurbished right now. great deal.

If you plan gaming pick the i7 8gb version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.