PDA

View Full Version : Worms 3D: Good Sequel to a Classic Game

MacBytes
Dec 14, 2005, 08:35 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Worms 3D: Good Sequel to a Classic Game (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051214093544)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 08:42 AM
Cool, a new Worms game! I spent countless hours playing the originals - great games! $30 isn't too bad either. Now all someone needs to do is release a completely revamped and updated Scorched Earth - that was another one of my classic favorites. :cool:

Fiveos22
Dec 14, 2005, 08:55 AM
Its the end of 2005 and Apple users are still two years behind the game releases for PC users. I can't wait for the Intel switch...things are gonna change.

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 09:00 AM
Its the end of 2005 and Apple users are still two years behind the game releases for PC users. I can't wait for the Intel switch...things are gonna change.

2 years, huh? Shows how much I pay attention to "new" games these days.. :o ;) Still though, if it's new to me... :D

dornoforpyros
Dec 14, 2005, 09:12 AM
uggg I played Worms 3D on PC a year or so ago, it's dissapointing. When taken into the 3D the game really loses it's charm.

nbs2
Dec 14, 2005, 09:23 AM
It's not bad on a proper video game system. For some reason, 2D felt more natural on a computer than this does. I played it a couple years ago on the Gamecube and it was a bit more fun. It felt smooth. The hardest part was getting accustomed to the 3D interface.

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 09:42 AM
uggg I played Worms 3D on PC a year or so ago, it's dissapointing. When taken into the 3D the game really loses it's charm.

Really? Hmm, good to know. I suppose I can see what you mean - there are some classic side scrollers which I love, and newer 3D version of them aren't quite the same. :)

mainstreetmark
Dec 14, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cool, a new Worms game! I spent countless hours playing the originals - great games! $30 isn't too bad either. Now all someone needs to do is release a completely revamped and updated Scorched Earth - that was another one of my classic favorites. :cool:

There is a Scorched Earth 3D floating around. I had it running on the powerbook for like a day once. It runs in X-Windows, if that helps.

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 12:55 PM
There is a Scorched Earth 3D floating around. I had it running on the powerbook for like a day once. It runs in X-Windows, if that helps.

I remember seeing that as well, but I think even that version is several years old now. A totally new, revamped one would be good - yet there is something timeless about the original. :) :cool:

Nermal
Dec 14, 2005, 02:07 PM
Why are we looking at a review of a game that came out in the first half of 2004? :confused:

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 02:14 PM
Why are we looking at a review of a game that came out in the first half of 2004? :confused:

Because MacBytes said so??? :confused: It's a new post... :o ;)

Fiveos22
Dec 14, 2005, 03:00 PM

Because this review was written or at least posted by

simX Dec 14, 2005 - 06:09 AM

and the port to OSX is new, so it is good to see a contemporary review of a "new" game.

Nermal
Dec 14, 2005, 03:53 PM
and the port to OSX is new, so it is good to see a contemporary review of a "new" game.

Was the 2004 version for OS 9 or something? :eek:

Fiveos22
Dec 14, 2005, 04:08 PM
Was the 2004 version for OS 9 or something? :eek:

Damn.

Good call.

I didn't even bother to check Feral's site earlier today, but I seem to recall this being posted on MacBytes when it was released back in August '04. Must have been a slow news day since this review got posted.

Eric5h5
Dec 14, 2005, 08:55 PM

The port to OS X is "new" only if you consider a year old to be "new". There's no reason for this to be news even on the Mac, but anyway, yes, it's definitely a fun game and anyone who liked Worms and takes a few minutes to adjust to 3D would probably like it. Actually, anyone who likes silly but fun games in general would probably like it. I was quite happy with how much of the feel of Worms 2D survives intact, and there are quite a few new things to do as well. Plus it's a great port; they took the time to spiff up some of the graphics so that it actually looks a little better than the PC version instead of just bringing it over with no changes.

The only thing I didn't much care for was how often worms are killed by knocking them into the water; blowing them up in other ways is more entertaining. So I was happy to hear the developers acknowledge "too many water deaths" and how they're going to fix it for the next game. Which hopefully will be ported as well.

--Eric

Seasought
Dec 14, 2005, 09:46 PM
I loved Worms: Armageddon (2D version)...I have to agree though; seems like a transition into 3D somehow kills the charm of the game.

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
I loved Worms: Armageddon (2D version)...I have to agree though; seems like a transition into 3D somehow kills the charm of the game.

I agree - sometimes simplicity (i.e. 2D vs. 3D) has its benefits. :)