PDA

View Full Version : Apple files a patent for real-time adaptation to changes in ...

MacBytes
Dec 14, 2005, 08:37 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple files a patent for real-time adaptation to changes in display configuration. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051214093736)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 08:46 AM
Very interesting, I'll have to read this all in greater detail. The first application that springs to mind would be a removeable display for a portable tablet type of product. Use your desktop, then remove the display, walk around with it, use it as a tablet, and plug it back into your desktop without requiring a reboot, etc.

Of course, as with most of these patents, who knows when we would actually see something utilizing it be available to consumers. ;)

shamino
Dec 14, 2005, 10:11 AM
Are they trying to patent plug-and-play? This has existed for other categories of devices for a very long time, on a wide variety of platforms.

What's so special about pnp applying to video that makes it in any way different from FireWire, USB, BlueTooth, PCMCIA or any other hot-swappable interface technology?

That being said, the idea of hot-pluggable video cards would be a great addition. IIRC, PCI Express supports hot-pluggable devices, so we may see a future PowerMac support hot-swapping video cards.

I simply question the patent. The hardware aspects of hot-swapping PCI-E would be patented by the PCI-E designers. On the software end, I fail to see how this is different from hot-swapping of any other kind of device.

katie ta achoo
Dec 14, 2005, 10:15 AM
The first application that springs to mind would be a removeable display for a portable tablet type of product. Use your desktop, then remove the display, walk around with it, use it as a tablet, and plug it back into your desktop without requiring a reboot, etc.

:eek:
When is that coming out? I NEED ONE!

Sounds kind of feasible... ooo..

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 10:18 AM
:eek:
When is that coming out? I NEED ONE!

Sounds kind of feasible... ooo..

I'll tell Apple to hurry up with it, just for you katie. ;) :)

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 11:23 AM
From what I read it sounds like a graphics card one puts into a PCMCIA slot on a laptop..
The card could hold all kinds of info from movies to databases..
This "slot" could be built into a new media device..
So you could take it out of your laptop and plug it into the media player.

gekko513
Dec 14, 2005, 11:28 AM
But the PowerBooks already handle hot-plugging displays perfectly. :confused:

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 11:33 AM
But the PowerBooks already handle hot-plugging displays perfectly. :confused:

I wasn't even aware of hot swapping graphics cards on laptops period.
now I'm confused:confused:

<edit> Man!! where have I been!! hehehe
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=7099&Item=VILVTBOOK

</edit>

AlmostThere
Dec 14, 2005, 12:12 PM
How about use for a Mac mini media centre? Given the emergence of HD and the way that current hardware struggles to decode it, possibly there is a plug in device that allows HD content to be decoded through a dedicated chip on the cards.

I don't see why this is patent worthy though, as mentioned before, hot-plugging is nothing really new.

I wasn't even aware of hot swapping graphics cards on laptops period.
The patent gives plenty of examples where the display device is a monitor or projector, rather than video card. They use both display device and video device in the patent (linked in the article). Sounds from a cursory read that in includes almost any combination of displays and video devices all being used in combination with each other.

And don't forget that patents are deliberately obtuse!

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 12:19 PM
Could anyone see the drawings at the patent website? I tried but it came up blank.

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 01:04 PM
Could anyone see the drawings at the patent website? I tried but it came up blank.

This one?

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 01:22 PM
This one?

Actually these:

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 01:26 PM
Actually these:

Ah, alright - I see you fixed your problem then. ;)

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 01:27 PM
Ah, alright - I see you fixed your problem then. ;)

Indeed I did..And the problem is going right to the bug reporter ;)

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 01:28 PM
Indeed I did..And the problem is going right to the bug reporter ;)

That's good - at least something might be done about it then... :)

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 03:36 PM
Figured it out!!

Plug N' Play LCD's..

Plug it into the new MacMiniMedia and go with it..
Unplug it and back into the G# Tower and d/l media or upload media..
Plug it back into the MacMiniMedia and play the stuff:D

~Shard~
Dec 14, 2005, 03:45 PM
Figured it out!!

Plug N' Play LCD's..

There you go! A display with a hard drive built into it! :eek: :cool:

maya
Dec 14, 2005, 03:51 PM
Very interesting, I'll have to read this all in greater detail. The first application that springs to mind would be a removeable display for a portable tablet type of product. Use your desktop, then remove the display, walk around with it, use it as a tablet, and plug it back into your desktop without requiring a reboot, etc.

Of course, as with most of these patents, who knows when we would actually see something utilizing it be available to consumers. ;)

They might use it in the iPod, to break it into a remote screen and the main unit with the HDD and battery, etc.

Doing so will shrink the iPod even more, and also allow someone to view and browse without taking the unit out of they pocket.

Who knows, I am just babbling. ;) :D

maya
Dec 14, 2005, 03:54 PM
There you go! A display with a hard drive built into it! :eek: :cool:

Tablets are pointless, I believe the PC Tablet market has lost a lot of its steam. And I do not believe Apple even wants to release a tablet, it would not go well with the whole entertainment HUB idea, as it would be a light notebook, or remote controller. What is the point you can just have software on the notebook line or have the iPod gain more support in the entertainment HUB. :)

maya
Dec 14, 2005, 03:55 PM
Figured it out!!

Plug N' Play LCD's..

You are better off just streaming the content. ;)

Audio does not take much bandwidth, and with wireless N, video will not be a problem either. ;) :D

Peace
Dec 14, 2005, 03:58 PM
You are better off just streaming the content. ;)

Audio does not take much bandwidth, and with wireless N, video will not be a problem either. ;) :D

What if you want to take it to your office? Gonna be hard to stream 20 miles away.

nagromme
Dec 14, 2005, 06:21 PM
Do current PowerBooks auto detect when you attach a display or TV?

Mine doesn't. I have to click Detect Displays, or else hit Command-F2.

The one thing I like about the idea of a hot-swappable card-slot laptop GPU is the possibility of adding additional help to the on-board card, even when driving the usual one display. Not sure if there's any way it COULD help, though--maybe the OS software demands "either or" and can't delegate anything to one card vs. the other.

iMeowbot
Dec 14, 2005, 06:38 PM
"This application is a continuation of application Ser. No. 09/927,411 filed on Aug. 13, 2001, which is a continuation of application Ser. No. 09/074,300 filed on May 8, 1998."

gekko513
Dec 15, 2005, 12:57 AM
Do current PowerBooks auto detect when you attach a display or TV?
Yes

nagromme
Dec 15, 2005, 02:47 AM
Cool! I didn't know that. Mine's a first-gen 15" AlBook.

Now I want a new PowerBook :D (OK, I already did.)