PDA

View Full Version : Painfully slow iBook

Sapphyre
Dec 14, 2005, 10:35 AM
I have an iBook G3, 700mHz, 20Gb HD with the RAM maxed out at 640Mb. It is running 10.4.3, just installed the OS recently. It was running fine after I installed Tiger, no speed problems, but all of a sudden it's become incredibly laggy. I get our lovely friend the colour wheel showing up with every single thing I try to do, even just clicking on an icon on the desktop and waiting for it to be highlighted to show it is selected or when trying to move a window. I have over 13Gb free on the HD and when I checked the activity moniter, it doesn't seem to show anything wrong... says that 450+Mb of RAM is still free and that 85%+ CPU is idle. I'm not running anything but the finder and dashboard. Any ideas?

mklos
Dec 14, 2005, 10:39 AM
Did you install any apps recently? Did you try another user account to see if its account specific, or a system wide problem? Repair Permissions?

Megatron
Dec 14, 2005, 10:40 AM
Have you installed a lot of widgest on dashboard? If it was running fine when you just installed Tiger and now it's running slow, that would be my first guess. They take up a lot of resources.

Sapphyre
Dec 14, 2005, 11:15 AM
Megatron - no, I haven't installed any widgets.

mklos - I only have one user account on the computer. I've installed some apps: Firefox, TextWrangler, a PHP module and MySQL, MSN Messenger and iSwipe. I'm trying to repair the disk permissions now, but the progress bar has been stuck at the same place for 10 or 15 minutes now.

mklos
Dec 14, 2005, 07:08 PM
I would remove those programs one by one and then restart after removing that program and see if the problem comes back. Do it one by one so you can narrow down which one could be the problematic program.

I would create another user temporary and then login and see if the iBook runs slow in that account. If so, log out, and then log back into your normal account and then delete that account you created and everything in that account, including the home folder will be deleted. No harm, no foul. And, you know its a system wide problem.

If its a user specific problem, then you have something like a corrupt preference file, or something running in the background that OS X doesn't like only in your account.

Sapphyre
Dec 14, 2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks... but I did manage to solve the problem. I was completely unable to repair permissions or run a file system check, so I just erased the entire hard drive and reinstalled Tiger. It's behaving itself nicely now :)

mklos
Dec 14, 2005, 08:11 PM
Very good! Glad you see that you got it working!!!! :D