Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caithsith

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Hey guys i was downloading some important pic on my ipad and i wanted to create album but even if you put them in an album they are in double in Camera Roll and My Photo Stream. You cant just move them where you want or they are in one place but show's in two folder?

I can understand for the My Photo stream but why photo imported would show in Camera Roll anyway.

Question: is there a way to put what in the camera roll in a folder that will not show in camera roll to?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Camera Roll is like the photos "Library" and the albums are like "Playlists."

So, the short answer is 'no,' they have to stay in the camera roll.

The long answer is that if you really want that, you should be doing the photo downloading on a Mac into iPhoto. Then you sync iPhoto albums to the phone using iTunes. In that case the synced photos just show up in the iPhoto albums and not the camera roll.

Neither of these solutions is awesome.

Basically, photo management still kind of sucks on iOS.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Hey guys i was downloading some important pic on my ipad and i wanted to create album but even if you put them in an album they are in double in Camera Roll and My Photo Stream. You cant just move them where you want or they are in one place but show's in two folder?

I can understand for the My Photo stream but why photo imported would show in Camera Roll anyway.

Question: is there a way to put what in the camera roll in a folder that will not show in camera roll to?

Camera Roll is like the photos "Library" and the albums are like "Playlists."

So, the short answer is 'no,' they have to stay in the camera roll.

The long answer is that if you really want that, you should be doing the photo downloading on a Mac into iPhoto. Then you sync iPhoto albums to the phone using iTunes. In that case the synced photos just show up in the iPhoto albums and not the camera roll.

Neither of these solutions is awesome.

Basically, photo management still kind of sucks on iOS.

Ok - there's a better solution and you don't need to use a Mac.

We've reached a point with iOS that you never really have to sync with your computer for any reason (unless you want to put music you didn't buy through iTunes on there, same with videos).

1) Yes, your camera roll is a library of all your photos, anything you put in an album/stream also has to be in the camera roll

2) stop using albums. they are annoying on iOS and only live on your phone, not accessible anywhere else

3) use iCloud. Photostream doesn't count against your iCloud storage, it's basically free to use iCloud for photo storage. Instead of putting your photo in an album, "share them to iCloud" using the little up arrow for sharing, and hitting the icloud button. Create a name for the stream, and don't share it with anyone. Now that Album will be accessible on your Mac, iPhone, iPad etc (as long as you have iCloud enabled on all three of them).

Edit: I think that once you put an photo in an iCloud album or stream, you can delete it from your camera Roll. It's only when the photo is in an ALBUM or in your main Photostream that it also must be in the camera roll. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Caithsith

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Ok thanks for the quick answer. I don't have any mac right now so i'm kind of stuck with that for now i guess.

----------

Ok - there's a better solution and you don't need to use iPhone.

We've reached a point with iOS that you never really have to sync with your computer for any reason (unless you want to put music you didn't buy through iTunes on there, same with videos).

1) Yes, your camera roll is a library of all your photos, anything you put in an album/stream also has to be in the camera roll

2) stop using albums. they are annoying on iOS and only live on your phone, not accessible anywhere else

3) use iCloud. Photostream doesn't count against your iCloud storage, it's basically free to use iCloud for photo storage. Instead of putting your photo in an album, "share them to iCloud" using the little up arrow for sharing, and hitting the icloud button. Create a name for the stream, and don't share it with anyone. Now that Album will be accessible on your Mac, iPhone, iPad etc (as long as you have iCloud enabled on all three of them).

Edit: I think that once you put an photo in an iCloud album or stream, you can delete it from your camera Roll. It's only when the photo is in an ALBUM or in your main Photostream that it also must be in the camera roll. I could be wrong.

That look better i'm gonna try that

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
3) use iCloud. Photostream doesn't count against your iCloud storage, it's basically free to use iCloud for photo storage.

The main Photostream is free, but that's because it it doesn't save photos forever. The WILL be erased eventually if they're stored in the main stream.

What you have described, though, are iCloud albums which, yes, I'm pretty sure don't ever erase themselves. For that reason, though, I'd be surprised if they don't count against your iCloud's 5 GB.

Just keep an eye on your iCloud storage space, Caithsith. (In the system preferences for iCloud.) I suspect that making the online albums will start to eat into your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.