Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C5Longhorn

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
I'm new to Android as I just got my 7 last week. Will the update be a simple install and are you prompted to make a backup before the new OS is installed?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm new to Android as I just got my 7 last week. Will the update be a simple install and are you prompted to make a backup before the new OS is installed?

You won't be prompted to make a backup before upgrading. There is no backup like in iOS built in to Android (yet). That said, all Google apps are auto-updated in real time, continuously. If you want your own back up of all your other apps, you have to download a 3rd party app like "Helium" to make your own backup. If you are rooted (which I can tell you are not) there is an app that does the same thing as iOS, called ROM Manager.

That said, click on Settings -> scroll down to "About Tablet" -> click on System updates. If the update gets pushed to you at that point, you will be prompted to update. This will force your tablet to look for an update OR you can just wait for it to show up and prompt you.

C5Longhorn

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
You won't be prompted to make a backup before upgrading. There is no backup like in iOS built in to Android (yet). That said, all Google apps are auto-updated in real time, continuously. If you want your own back up of all your other apps, you have to download a 3rd party app like "Helium" to make your own backup. If you are rooted (which I can tell you are not) there is an app that does the same thing as iOS, called ROM Manager.

That said, click on Settings -> scroll down to "About Tablet" -> click on System updates. If the update gets pushed to you at that point, you will be prompted to update. This will force your tablet to look for an update OR you can just wait for it to show up and prompt you.

Thanks, yes stock Android 4.3. I had an HP Touchpad a long time ago that i rooted with Cyanogenmod 9 but it's been awhile and I've been living in the iOS realm.

Rick

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Thanks, yes stock Android 4.3. I had an HP Touchpad a long time ago that i rooted with Cyanogenmod 9 but it's been awhile and I've been living in the iOS realm.

Rick

Ah yes, the HP Touchpad. I had one as well and did the dual boot CM/Web OS setup as well. I don't think I had it long enough to get CM9 though. I only recall having CM7 on it. It was a great tablet for its time (a nice iPad 1 clone that I got for $149 during the Fire sale.) :D

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
For my Nexus 7, which is rooted and running stock, do I need to relock my bootloader/unroot/install stock recovery?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
For my Nexus 7, which is rooted and running stock, do I need to relock my bootloader/unroot/install stock recovery?

For the update to go through you have to have stock recovery (assuming the update alters the recovery, which I am guessing will be the case between 4.3 and 4.4). No need to relock the bootloader or unroot.

Of course, if someone gets the OTA link URL, via an ADB Logcat and publishes it before Google updates the factory image database, then we will all be able to flash it in TWRP or CWM. (Will likely lose root though until CWM or the TWRP devs can update the custom recovery).

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Is it really coming tonight? Lol still waiting with my Nexus 7 over here, checking every 20 minutes for the update. It's 9:20pm Pacific time, come on!

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
For the update to go through you have to have stock recovery (assuming the update alters the recovery, which I am guessing will be the case between 4.3 and 4.4). No need to relock the bootloader or unroot.

Of course, if someone gets the OTA link URL, via an ADB Logcat and publishes it before Google updates the factory image database, then we will all be able to flash it in TWRP or CWM. (Will likely lose root though until CWM or the TWRP devs can update the custom recovery).

What would be the best way to return to stock recovery? I am currently on CWM.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
So annoying, still no update. How can it be announced that its releasing last night and there is STILL no update this morning. I'm definitely not used to Android. I'm sorry, but if they announce a software release and they say Nexus 7 WiFi only will get it, they should follow through. It's like a huge tease. Was looking forward to waking up and updating my N7, guess I'll be taking it to work.

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Got my Nexus 7 2nd gen last week and I checked twice today no update it says it is up to date with 4.3.

I know, I'm a little pissed. I mean it's not that big of a deal.

But considering it was "officially" announced last night that wifi only 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7's will get 4.4, and we STILL don't have it, it's puzzling and annoying.

Are they allowing one person per half hour to OTA update? Jesus. What's even more puzzling is that some people are claiming to have already OTA updated their Nexus 7 but I suppose they could be lying.

My 2013 Nexus 7 is WAITING. Let's go Google.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
So I got sick of waiting and finally downloaded the file onto my Nexus, rebooted into recovery and flashed from there. I didn't sideload. Finally on 4.4. Seems to be running great.

I lost my root, but I used the Nexus Root Toolkit, and now I'm rooted again on 4.4. But now SU is gone. Hmmm...

EDIT: Well, I tinkered a bit, and decided to do a factory reset, SU is back, updated BusyBox and now I'm rooted and on 4.4. :D

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Quick question:

I heard Nova beta has the transparent status bar, to make it feel more like 4.4. Do I have to side-load Nova beta? I have the free version of Nova but don't have the transparent option. I apologize, I am new to Android.

New Nexus 7 feels quite snappy on 4.4. Loving it so far, despite it's minor changes from 4.3.

EDIT: Nevermind, realized I could update Nova from the actual app, just had to click the 'search for beta' option. Love the NOW transparent black bars on the home screen. Home screen looks so much better now. With a screen this size I'll take any sort of increase. :D

Even though this update is minimal, and not much has changed, I do feel like my Nexus 7.2 has been revamped a little. I like the new condensed font and the stock clock widget isn't annoying anymore with that half bold text. Software overall looks cleaner and more polished.

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Not that I use daydream, but I'm missing the kit kat daydream theme. I've seen people talking about it and showing it on 4.4 but I don't have it. Wonder if I did something wrong installing?

Overall 4.4 is working seamlessly on my N7.

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Just checked the Wugg Nexus Root Toolkit, and it's been updated and now has the KRT16O build (4.4), so people should be getting OTA now?

I have no idea because yesterday I manually updated myself. But since I'm paranoid I'm using the toolkit and reflashing 4.4, just in case anything went wrong when I did the manual install. Again, my device is running fine, but just in case.

Everyone should check for an update now though, I feel like if the toolkit updated today, then that means it's finally rolling out.

If it's STILL not letting you OTA upgrade, then I recommend downloading the Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.5. It has the 4.4 build to flash for you and it's the most simple thing I have ever done.

cullen43

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Got mine last night in UK. Nexus 7 2013. Notified that it had downloaded, did I want to install?

Very quick. Only took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

The only thing I have noticed today is that the battery is not draining anywhere near as quickly as before.

Sorry, first post so if I have done wrong....please forgive me.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Got mine last night in UK. Nexus 7 2013. Notified that it had downloaded, did I want to install?

Very quick. Only took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

The only thing I have noticed today is that the battery is not draining anywhere near as quickly as before.

Sorry, first post so if I have done wrong....please forgive me.

Yea I figured people are probably now starting to finally get the update, since the toolkit was updated.

I haven't been able to test the battery yet, but I have read other people who updated their 2013 Nexus 7 to 4.4 and said the battery life has improved quite a bit. Which is great because my Nexus 7 already gets great battery life. I feel like my N7 is a bit snappier too, it was fast on 4.3, but it seems a little better, maybe I'm just imagining it.

Hoping the Google experience launcher becomes an app in Play store eventually, if not I'm gonna manually install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.