Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retinamini.jpg
Shipments of the supply-constrained iPad mini with Retina display are likely to double in Q1 2014, according to market research firm IHS iSuppli (via CNET) and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with both stating that the estimated shipment of 2 million Retina iPad mini tablets in the current quarter will grow to a total shipment of about 4.5 million devices in the first three months of next year.

Rhoda Alexander, director of Tablet and Monitor Research at IHS iSuppli, stated the following about the supply constraints surrounding the tablet:
Rhoda Alexander told CNET on Tuesday that she expects production of about 2 million Mini Retina tablets in the fourth calendar quarter.

"When you think about some of the releases where they sold that many iPads in a weekend," that's not a lot, she said.
Meanwhile, Ming-Chi Kuo stated his estimates for a production boost of the tablet, stating that shipments of the Retina iPad mini will increase due to an improvement in manufacturer yield:
We maintain our iPad mini R shipments forecast of around 2.2mn units for 4Q13. Considering production yield improvement at the supply chain, we forecast shipments will grow 102% QoQ in 1Q14 to 4.5mn units. But marked shipments growth given the low base in 4Q13 can't make up for overall iPad shipments in 1Q14.
In something of a surprise move, Apple began accepting orders for the Retina iPad mini in the United States and several other countries yesterday, with the device's quiet launch potentially due to constrained supplies. Currently however, availability through Apple's online store appears to be holding up for the time being, with the company's U.S. stores showing the same shipping estimates seen at the time orders went live: 1-3 business days for 16 and 32 GB Wi-Fi models and 5-10 business days for all other models.

Previous rumors have suggested that available quantities of the mini are extremely low due to display production issues, with Apple turning to Samsung to help with production. Apple did also launch its Personal Pickup option for the Retina iPad mini yesterday, with stores seeing quick sellouts of many models. Walk-in sales of the device will apparently not be offered until supplies improve.

Article Link: Shipments of Retina iPad Mini Likely to Double in Q1 2014 as Shortages Ease

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
This seems to be the story over and over again. Too bad there is likely not much money in manufacturing displays or Apple could just take on their own manufacturing for displays.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Did anyone get or even see a cellular model yesterday?

Yes, in a Softbank store in Saitama City (Japan). I stopped in to check out the iPad air, and was pleasantly surprised to find the retina Mini cellular model on display.

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL

I've been watching a very busy thread at another forum and I haven't seen anyone report it yet. I'm waiting for Best Buy to get the cell models in stock but their site still lists "coming soon". The wifi-only versions are "in-store only" (I'm in Miami,FL)

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Yes, in a Softbank store in Saitama City (Japan). I stopped in to check out the iPad air, and was pleasantly surprised to find the retina Mini cellular model on display.

Nice! Was it available for purchase? I haven't seen one in the states yet.

----------

I've been watching a very busy thread at another forum and I haven't seen anyone report it yet. I'm waiting for Best Buy to get the cell models in stock but their site still lists "coming soon". The wifi-only versions are "in-store only" (I'm in Miami,FL)

Lol! That's funny...I'm waiting for best buy too so I can get the rewards points. I'm a elite plus member,but the fact that this may be a hard to get item I'm thinking I should just get it from the apple store when available.

----------

Seems like they prebuilt only the basic models (16/32 wifi) and let customers map out demand for everything else. They were surprised last time and are being more cautious this time around.

If that's true I just hope we don't have to wait too long for the cellular ones :(

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I had been wanting a grey 32GB T-Mo mini. Because there is no availability of cellular models, I saved $130. Thanks Apple!

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

You're near Tokyo, so not too surprising it's a large market.

I went to my Apple Store in Albany NY yesterday and they had no retina mini's on display at all, but they did have non-cellular versions in stock. I already ordered my cellular version, but I am keeping an eye out at my store if they become available I will be cancelling my online order and picking up in store.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN

I've been checking the stock at the local store here (Nashville) every hour or so on the Apple Store app, in hopes that I can beat the 5-10 day wait by getting it in person. If none show up today though, I'll probably cave in and order online.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I believe the wait is just 5-10 business days, right?

5-10 business days until shipped. I was given a delivery date of 11/25-12/4. I'm thinking I can find one in a apple store before December if I keep checking the store inventory via the store pickup option. I'm hoping...

----------

I've been checking the stock at the local store here (Nashville) every hour or so on the Apple Store app, in hopes that I can beat the 5-10 day wait by getting it in person. If none show up today though, I'll probably cave in and order online.

You're in the same exact boat as me. Lol

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
You want exactly what I ordered. If you really wanted to cellular version you should probably just order it and wait. It might be a couple of weeks, but at least you will have what you want.

Naah, I'm better off this way. I just wanted the cellular radio because I'm too lazy to tether from my iPhone. So I decided to buck up and just tether when necessary, which is a rare occurrence. :)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Lol! That's funny...I'm waiting for best buy too so I can get the rewards points. I'm a elite plus member,but the fact that this may be a hard to get item I'm thinking I should just get it from the apple store when available.

I have an order for custom shelving in with another company. Half way into the 8 week wait, yesterday I decide to add some accessories. Upon hearing that they too would be 8 weeks (adding 4 weeks to my total wait), I spent an hour tearing around the internet looking for a company with the particular parts in stock.

After lining up 6 candidate stores and emailing 4 and getting replies from 3, 1 relied with what I wanted. And it was naturally $40 extra, to cover the cost of keeping it around. Trapped between the two priorities, I took a deep breath and remembered that all of the importance that was causing all my stress, was my own.

Points or speed - you're in control.

If that's true I just hope we don't have to wait too long for the cellular ones :(

Waiting on a TMO 64 gray (should have called it slate). And going to focus on how cool the gen 1 is until it gets here.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Naah, I'm better off this way. I just wanted the cellular radio because I'm too lazy to tether from my iPhone. So I decided to buck up and just tether when necessary, which is a rare occurrence. :)

I hear you, I hope you enjoy your mini. I find the extra $130 a little hard to swallow, but I want it for when I am in a pinch, and I want real GPS capability for in car setup.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I have an order for custom shelving in with another company. Half way into the 8 week wait, yesterday I decide to add some accessories. Upon hearing that they too would be 8 weeks (adding 4 weeks to my total wait), I spent an hour tearing around the internet looking for a company with the particular parts in stock.

After lining up 6 candidate stores and emailing 4 and getting replies from 3, 1 relied with what I wanted. And it was naturally $40 extra, to cover the cost of keeping it around. Trapped between the two priorities, I took a deep breath and remembered that all of the importance that was causing all my stress, was my own.

Waiting on a TMO 64 gray (should have called it slate). And going to focus on how cool the gen 1 is until it gets here.

Very insightful..... And you're correct. Lol...basically I need to relax a little. Lol

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I had been wanting a grey 32GB T-Mo mini. Because there is no availability of cellular models, I saved $130. Thanks Apple!

Same here. I was set on the T-Mobile version, but I'm too impatient to wait, and maybe it's better this way that I save $130, plus all of the data I could have bought in the next couple years+.

I've always thought that these companies should subsidize the $130, just in the hopes that you buy data. Don't even require a contract, because some (not all, but many) will occasionally buy data.
I came off an iPad 3 LTE, so I know I would probably buy data often enough that they get their investment back and then some.
After all, they shouldn't be struggling to pay the bills when they're selling a gig of data for $20 at a time anyway!

But I know well enough that it's not going to happen.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What shortages? This is the first iPad I've ever seen that has not sold out within hours (or at least had delayed shipping times). I think Apple overestimated demand.

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
I hear you, I hope you enjoy your mini. I find the extra $130 a little hard to swallow, but I want it for when I am in a pinch, and I want real GPS capability for in car setup.

You and me both! I have been trying to mount my 1st gen mini into the dash of my car - CHEAPLY! I sold my mini to get a retina mini and once i have my mount figured out, it's going in the car. this has to be the best possibility for a head unit ever... movies + navi + music... the UI could be a little better for in-car use but i'm certainly not complaining :D:apple:

jcaplan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Boise, ID
Same here. I was set on the T-Mobile version, but I'm too impatient to wait, and maybe it's better this way that I save $130, plus all of the data I could have bought in the next couple years+.

I've always thought that these companies should subsidize the $130, just in the hopes that you buy data. Don't even require a contract, because some (not all, but many) will occasionally buy data.
I came off an iPad 3 LTE, so I know I would probably buy data often enough that they get their investment back and then some.
After all, they shouldn't be struggling to pay the bills when they're selling a gig of data for $20 at a time anyway!

But I know well enough that it's not going to happen.

AT&T gives you a $100 discount if you agree to a 2 year contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.