Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bert484

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Am I missing something or have they removed, "Search This Forum"?

Bert484

jfcates

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2005
Maryland, USA
Search function disabled?

The loss of the search function, especially "search this thread" is terrible. Search is essential for very long threads. Is this related to the security breach? Can we please have the search function back soon? :confused:

Please let me know what's up with this, and thanks for a great place to find answers/solutions.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The loss of the search function, especially "search this thread" is terrible. Search is essential for very long threads. Is this related to the security breach? Can we please have the search function back soon? :confused:

Please let me know what's up with this, and thanks for a great place to find answers/solutions.

It is related to the security breach and I'm sure arn and his team are working to get it back as soon as possible.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I moved your post to this thread. Please read above for an update on the search function.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ya, we're still rebuilding.
It only has to index through 17,718,761 posts. I don't see what's taking so long?!! ;)

Does it have a progress bar showing the approx time left? Was curious if it's still days. My main "entrance" to MacRumors is the "New Posts" URL, so I'm feeling lost without it. Forum Spy is an OK workaround.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
As a forum founder myself, this sort of stuff really sucks. Give the MacRumors team some time. It's not like you don't have stuff to read. :)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
It could save bandwidth too, much needed for all the emails that are being sent.

The MR Forums are well indexed by major search engines, so you can just use Google and type site:forums.macrumors.com to find results in the forum.

Example:
iPhone battery charge site:forums.macrumors.com

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For the time being, if I am searching for a thread in a MR forum, the most viable way I've found is to use Command F to pull up Firefox's search function (bottom left of browser window), type in a key word, and then page back through the pages of thread titles, clicking on the search arrow for each page. It will quickly tell you if you hit something or there is nothing for that specific page of threads. This is much faster than paging back and then scrolling down through all of the titles.

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
Ive been missing the search and new post. Sure I can use forum spy, but its just not the same..hope its fixed sooner than later.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Gracious folks...a bit a patience...please!

It is my impression that arn is busting his hump to put things right after a catastrophic event on the Forum.

How about just being a bit patient and give the guy a chance to straighten things out.

I know it's an inconvenience...but it's a forum, not that oxygen tank that is keeping is keeping you alive!

Please...take a breath, take a walk...life will return to normal soon...:)

Ramanonos

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Searching has been disabled?

can anyone explain why I can't do a keyword search on the forum?
Says..
"Searching has been disabled."

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Sure. After recovering the site after the security incident, the search index has to be rebuilt. That requires the software to go through the words of all 17 million posts on here, so when you search for a word, it knows what posts to return as results.

Apparently going through all the words of almost 18 million posts and indexing them takes multiple days.

Until the index is rebuilt, there are examples in this thread of how to use Google to do a keyword search of the forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
image.php
Huntn’s avatar picture is my face in the morning, when i see that MR has no search function.

;-)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
we're running on reduced capacity right now. search is pretty intensive, so we don't want to tax the site even further.

hopefully search will be up this weekend, but that's assuming everything goes smoothly... which so far has not been the case with anything.

arn

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
we're running on reduced capacity right now. search is pretty intensive, so we don't want to tax the site even further.

hopefully search will be up this weekend, but that's assuming everything goes smoothly... which so far has not been the case with anything.

A google search on site:forums.macrumors.com can often substitute in the mean time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.