Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Has anyone noticed that Safari is much slower than Chrome? Some pages seem to take almost double the time to render that Chrome does, and on some Java heavy sites that Chrome loads in seconds, Safari takes 20-40 seconds to load.

Is it just me?

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
Both browsers load pages with the same speed for me. I haven't noticed any difference so far.

However, I much prefer Safari over Chrome and I'm sticking to the former. It's my everyday browser.

All the best,
^MPY.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
AN example is try to Built a Scion on Scion.com the pages take FOREVER to load on safari and then eventually pages fail to load, in Chrome it loads instantly. I have had other pages do the same thing.

I have a clean install from Apple, and I have reset my Safari settings a few times. The only thing that seems to help is that if I disable JavaScript then the pages that take 20+ seconds to load only then take about 5, but are still slower than Chrome.

On some pages if I click on a text box to type I have to wait almost 30 seconds just to be able to type. Chrome doesn't have that issue.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
It all depends on the website. Safari for OS X is very good at protecting you from many exploits others run by default, sometimes it may add more time to view the page as a result.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
AN example is try to Built a Scion on Scion.com the pages take FOREVER to load on safari and then eventually pages fail to load, in Chrome it loads instantly. I have had other pages do the same thing.

I have a clean install from Apple, and I have reset my Safari settings a few times. The only thing that seems to help is that if I disable JavaScript then the pages that take 20+ seconds to load only then take about 5, but are still slower than Chrome.

On some pages if I click on a text box to type I have to wait almost 30 seconds just to be able to type. Chrome doesn't have that issue.

Strange, that site is really quick for me on Safari. Definitely no more than 2/3 seconds loading the Build a Scion page.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Strange, that site is really quick for me on Safari. Definitely no more than 2/3 seconds loading the Build a Scion page.

It's not bad on Safari. But much faster on Chrome when building a scion. The animation just flies.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
The 7.0.1 update thats on the developer.apple.com fixed most of the issue.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
The biggest issue I have with Safari is videos and/or YouTube links posted on internet forums. I don't even see them in Safari but Chrome runs them fine.

As a result I'm running both browsers and anything with videos I use Chrome.

Speed seems to be about the same.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Has anyone noticed that Safari is much slower than Chrome? Some pages seem to take almost double the time to render that Chrome does, and on some Java heavy sites that Chrome loads in seconds, Safari takes 20-40 seconds to load.

Is it just me?

It would help if you posted more details about your setup. I'm assuming you're on Safari 7 on OSX 9 but what about extensions?

seismick

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
I had the same problem and was able to fix it by disabling web protection on Sophos (Open Preferences --> Web Protection --> slider for "block access to malicious websites" to off).

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Does anyone know how to reinstall Safari on Mavericks? The app has been deleted on accident and I can't figure out how to download and reinstall. I do have a record usb. Any ideas?

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
The biggest issue I have with Safari is videos and/or YouTube links posted on internet forums. I don't even see them in Safari but Chrome runs them fine.

Works for me on places I have visited. You haven't installed any extension that possibly could cause this ?

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I really like Safari because of all the sharing and iCloud options built into it, although I do find it a bit slower then Chrome... The one thing that I don't like in Safari is that I can't make it to remember the zoom level of webpages.
In Mountain Lion it would at least remember the zoom level of the active tab (If you opened a new tab or window it would open with the default zoom level), but since I upgraded to Mavericks it won't remember even that... If I increase the zoom level and then surf over to another web page in the same tab the new page opens with the default zoom level...

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Works for me on places I have visited. You haven't installed any extension that possibly could cause this ?

Not that I know of. Someone suggested it may be AdBlock but i turned it off with no change. The extensions I have installed are:

Safari Restore
Snapback
Reload Button
Some Facebook extensions
AdBlock
Twitter For Safari
Awesome Screen

Then a few others like ZoomBySite, clea.nr Videos, but I turned it off too with no change. I need to just make an appt at the Apple store..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.