PDA

View Full Version : Track count on a G3/450?

fudgie
Dec 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
Hi all
Does anyone know what sort of track count I could expect running Logic5 on a G3/450?
I'm hoping to achieve 24 for live recording.

Any help, links etc appreciated.

Thanks

steveedge
Dec 17, 2005, 07:41 PM
I have not used Logic on a G3 but I doubt you will get anywhere near 24 tracks, maybe 8 if you are lucky.
a 450's processor is just not fast enough to process more audio than that.

I have used Cubase, Pro Tools Free, MOTU, and several others on G3's and and G4's, after 4 to 8 tracks, depending on effects, you will start running into problems.

I use Logic Express now on a Mac mini (1.4 ghz processor) but i don't think I have had a reason to use more than a dozen tracks in my home studio.

Good Luck,

3rdpath
Dec 17, 2005, 09:31 PM
i regularly ran 24 tracks of audio on my beige G3 233. I had UWscsi cheetah drives which helped quite a bit....and this was back in the OS9.2.2 days with Digital Performer 3.11.

i couldn't run many plug-ins but I could run Reason without any problems while running a small QT movie. If I had some tracks with massive amounts of editing, the machine would start to lag but it was still workable.

fudgie
Dec 18, 2005, 08:26 AM
Thank you both for your replies. It seems I need to do further research!
I won't be using anthing more than some compression on a few incomming tracks if external analogue compression is unavailable; ie, no fx plugs, eq or anything, just recording. It will run via an ATTO UL3D SCSI to 4 x 36 Cheetahs.

Cheers

3rdpath
Dec 18, 2005, 10:17 AM
you should be fine then.

how i hate to remember the money i spent for my cheetah drives....

now they're just gathering dust.