Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

request

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Last time I was here searching what is going on with Mac air, I found several posting for other people with same issue as what I am going through, but where's their posting???

Anyways, my new Mac air 11inch I bought this year crashed one day and dead.
Turn out it was faulty Toshiba SSD was the problem.
So I did what Apple asked me to do, take it to the nearest authorized service center and they confirm it's SSD so I lost everything... didn't back up. :(

Anyways, the guy at service center called me one day after and told me he is expecting the part the next day, because he order the part before he called me. However, it's been almost three weeks and there is no sign of new SSD.

I called last week to Apple customer relation, and they simply lied and said it's on it's way... they told me they shipped out last Wednesday. :eek: Is FEDEX really slow these days? Because that's the one who is delivering the part.

The manager at authorized service center told me Apple has put cheap Toshiba SSD and that's why my new Mac Air that is still under warranty is dead.

If you get warranty with the product at least you expect to use the product for that length of time without hardware failure, but that's not an Apple's concern because they don't care.

All they do is posting Mac Air recall and do not send the part to get fix.

I hope they are not sending same cheap junk Toshiba SSD again.

I am just shock and disappointed quality of Apple is nothing but the design.

Their customer service is one of the worst and my faith in Apple just turn into a rotten apple.

Does anyone have same issue or is there anything I can do because I still have one year warranty and nothing is getting fixed.

My MacAir down Oct 27 and as of Nov 29 still dead.

Last edited:

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Did Apple use a batch of bad SSD's from Toshiba? Yes.

Are they replacing them for users for free? Yes.

Are they stupid enough to replace old bad SSDs for new bad SSDs? Likely not.

I understand it's taking longer to get that part than you would like, but there is a shortage in the replacement part. And you should always backup!

EuStoN

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
NJ
Last time I was here searching what is going on with Mac air, I found several posting for other people with same issue as what I am going through, but where's their posting???

Turn out it was faulty Toshib* SSD was the problem.
So I did what Apple asked me to do, take it to the nearest authorized service center and they confirm it's SSD so I lost everything... didn't back up. :(

Anyways, the guy at service center called me one day after and told me he is expecting the part the next day, because he order the part before he called me. However, it's been almost three weeks and there is no sign of new SSD.

I called last week to Apple customer relation, and they simply lied and said it's on it's way... they told me they shipped out last Wednesday. :eek: Is FEDEX really slow these days? Because that's the one who is delivering the part.

The manager at authorized service center told me Apple has put cheap Toshib* SSD and that's why my new Mac Air that is still under warranty is dead.

If you get warranty with the product at least you expect to use the product for that length of time without hardware failure, but that's not an Apple's concern because they don't care.

I hope they are not sending same cheap junk Toshib* SSD again.

Their customer service is one of the worst and my faith in Apple just turn into a rotten apple.

Does anyone have same issue or is there anything I can do because I still have one year warranty and nothing is getting fixed.

whenever i have issue with the  products, as long as it's their authorized dealer, they do take good care of it. Even when i'm not in the state, when i was in Taiwan or China~~~ You should just bring it to the store in the mall, they normally take care of it without any hassle. If they don't just call apple's 1-800number

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

Turn out it was faulty Toshib* SSD was the problem.

The manager at authorized service center told me Apple has put cheap Toshib* SSD and that's why my new Mac Air that is still under warranty is dead.

I hope they are not sending same cheap junk Toshib* SSD again.

Where do you live?

request

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Did Apple use a batch of bad SSD's from Toshiba? Yes.

Are they replacing them for users for free? Yes.

Are they stupid enough to replace old bad SSDs for new bad SSDs? Likely not.

I understand it's taking longer to get that part than you would like, but there is a shortage in the replacement part. And you should always backup!

FYI, they did send same Toshib* SSD, so they are stupid right?:mad:

----------

whenever i have issue with the  products, as long as it's their authorized dealer, they do take good care of it. Even when i'm not in the state, when i was in Taiwan or China~~~ You should just bring it to the store in the mall, they normally take care of it without any hassle. If they don't just call apple's 1-800number

I called Apple customer service and they try to hang up on me.
I have found Apple maybe discriminating customers based on their names.
Because I had to wait five weeks to get another Toshib* SSD while other people waited much less and even upgraded Samsun* SSD.
Well, I fund bunch of discrimination law suites they had so maybe that is the reason why I had to wait longest for another junk.
My regret is buying Mac Air.:(

Takenlife

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012

----------

I called Apple customer service and they try to hang up on me.
I have found Apple maybe discriminating customers based on their names.
Because I had to wait five weeks to get another Toshib* SSD while other people waited much less and even upgraded Samsun* SSD.
Well, I fund bunch of discrimination law suites they had so maybe that is the reason why I had to wait longest for another junk.
My regret is buying Mac Air.:(

Maybe in stores service but not over the phone. And even in stores, they are very very helpful. They have higher standards than most places. But they are humans and make mistakes like any others.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

----------

Here's what you are missing - it's entirely possible the problem with that SSD isn't its basic design, but rather a batch run or batch. So you could get the same size and model number, but no longer have a problem. Get it?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

No. Judging from how the issue is being handled, and based on what I've seen on other laptop vendors using similar Toshiba drives, the problem is either solvable by a firmware update, OR an old firmware revision was thrashing the drives and causing premature failure.

So, you're getting the same model toshiba drive, but likely with new firmware that should prevent the issue from recurring. Will it, actually? Well, we'll find out in a year, probably. :)

request

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Mac Air still dead thanks to Apple's Toshiba SSD

No. Judging from how the issue is being handled, and based on what I've seen on other laptop vendors using similar Toshiba drives, the problem is either solvable by a firmware update, OR an old firmware revision was thrashing the drives and causing premature failure.

So, you're getting the same model toshiba drive, but likely with new firmware that should prevent the issue from recurring. Will it, actually? Well, we'll find out in a year, probably. :)

I am not like you willing to take another risk of slow Toshiba SSD fail on me.
I didn't know about how Toshiba had issues back several years, but Apple knew about this all alone. Anyways, if mine happen to be a bad Toshiba SSD, Apple wouldn't do recall on year and a half worth of Toshiba SSD recall right? Anyways, what makes me mad is fact that Apple was sending the part I was waiting for to another customers who didn't have to wait much. I know this because authorized service center told me. They also think I was treated badly by Apple and they don't know why my part was shipped last when they requested first. Same time some other customers with same Mac Air failure received Samsung SSD and upgraded SSD..like instead of 64, they got 128.
That is the one I been waiting and I was first in line, but Apple just choose who to serve and who not to serve.
Even Apple online chat tech guy thinks Apple shouldn't send me same Toshiba SSD and they even told me servicing warranty is 5~7 business days. Everything I had to go through and still going through doesn't make any sense. However, I will not accept another faulty Toshiba SSD and go through this or after 3months warranty goes away so I may have to pay for it myself. You guys should read the line it does say any replaced part only has 90days warranty. Therefore, I will not accept another Toshiba and see it fail, because it will fail, otherwise Apple wouldn't be doing expensive RECALL.
You guys should read this another lady who replaced with Toshiba SSD after failing and then few days later failing again. That wasn't too long ago and it's in this forum too.
Those who doesn't seem to know the issue should do some research, because after reading lots of articles online regarding Toshiba SSD and Samsung SSD, it is clear Toshiba SSD is the problem.

I haven't talk to anyone from Apple store, but at this point I don't know who to trust any more. By the way, did I tell you when I took my MacAir to authorized service center they put stains all over. Stains I didn't have they put them for you. This is why my trust in these people are below under ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.