Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikko1423

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
So, I found a really cool loop you can do to get free iWork. Kinda. So, I got a new iPhone 5s. Very nice. And I downloaded all the free iWork and iLife apps. And when I went to my iPad, there they were in my purchased section, just sitting there, waiting for me to download them for free to my iPad 4. (With iOS 7, of course). I had assumed they would still be paid apps on other devices...

Anyone else notice this? If not, just thought I'd let everyone know.

(Also, if this is the wrong thread, I'm sorry. Couldn't find a better one. If it's obvious, again, I'm sorry. :D)

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
So, I found a really cool loop you can do to get free iWork. Kinda. So, I got a new iPhone 5s. Very nice. And I downloaded all the free iWork and iLife apps. And when I went to my iPad, there they were in my purchased section, just sitting there, waiting for me to download them for free to my iPad 4. (With iOS 7, of course). I had assumed they would still be paid apps on other devices...

(Also, if this is the wrong thread, I'm sorry. Couldn't find a better one. If it's obvious, again, I'm sorry. :D)

Its not really a loophole. The only reason you're able to get it on your iPad as well is because the iWork is linked with your apple id. I'm pretty sure apple knew that that was possible when they provided it for free with their new products.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I love how people get excited when they think they've pulled a fast one. And in reality its just ignorance rearing its head.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Some apps are made for specific devices. (Angry Birds for the iPhone vs. Angry Birds HD for the iPad.)

Others are universal apps and run on both devices. iWork apps are universal.

You can speed this process up by going into the device's settings and finding the App Store area. Turn on the option to automatically download purchases and this would have happened on your iPad before you even picked it up.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013

So to get a free app I just have to buy a new iDevice? :eek:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Intended behavior. Known. Not a loophole.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
So to get a free app I just have to buy a new iDevice? :eek:

I realize it's sarcasm, but not necessarily. I just got my near year old 5 replaced under warranty and it's considered a new device so the apps are still free.

stract

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
so I have a new rMBP, with the free iWorks, how can I get them free on my iOS devices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.