PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sound card in PowerBook

Melkor
Dec 15, 2005, 07:29 AM
Hey, I have a bit of trouble with the sound card in my powerbook. Just wondering if it's possible to get a better card, and if so, what would you recommend?

Cheers.

robbieduncan
Dec 15, 2005, 07:48 AM
Unless you can find a PCMCIA sound card with OSX drivers you are out of luck as the sound "card" is either a chip soldered to the main logic board or integrated into the system controller.

mkrishnan
Dec 15, 2005, 08:12 AM
Can you explain more about what isn't satisfactory about your powerbook's audio hardware, or what you're trying to do? I mean, are you trying to mix down audio coming out of your PB alongside professional audio hardware, or are you trying to get iTunes or games or something to sound better? I think it would help if you explained what you want to achieve.

It has optical digital out. If you're seriously concerned about audio quality because of amplifier quality kinds of issues, you can always use the optical output and connect it to a dedicated amplifier....

Melkor
Dec 16, 2005, 12:24 PM
There seems to be something wrong with the sound card. Every so often when I'm playing a song or movie, the sound kind of stalls and repeats itself and get's louder. this stops shortly but it can be really annoying. I only bought the PB a couple of months ago, do you think I could return it and get it fixed?

The reason I'm so concerned is I'm spending 300 euro on 5.1 logitech speakers for chrismas and I don't want to be disapointed.

NYmacAttack
Dec 16, 2005, 12:44 PM
It should still be covered under applecare.

KD7IWP
Dec 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
You are aware that your pbook only has 2 channel output right? I wasn't sure if the 5.1's were going to be used on the powerbook because the built in sound card can't handle that. I would take the pbook in on Applecare with that problem if it seems to do it regardless of what program you are in.

khisayruou
Dec 16, 2005, 01:22 PM
The problem is occuring on new 15" and 17" powerbooks. There is no known fix and Apple has not made any fixes either....or acknowledge the problem for that matter.

There was a discussion on this thread towards the bottom (post #9)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=167336
I posted links to threads on apples discussion board on post #11.

There is no consensus on whether or not its hardware or software related. There is a chance that if you get an external sound card, you will still hear the problem. Your options for sound cards are a pcmcia soundcard or usb external soundcard (M-audio makes one that is mac compatible). Since your going 5.1 logitech, your best option in my opinion is M-audio sonica theater, although pricey, it will give you 7.1 analog.

mkrishnan
Dec 16, 2005, 01:40 PM
Since your going 5.1 logitech, your best option in my opinion is M-audio sonica theater, although pricey, it will give you 7.1 analog.

Wow...I didn't even realize that M-Audio made consumer hardware like this. :)

Melkor
Dec 16, 2005, 03:41 PM
The problem is occuring on new 15" and 17" powerbooks. There is no known fix and Apple has not made any fixes either....or acknowledge the problem for that matter.

There was a discussion on this thread towards the bottom (post #9)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=167336
I posted links to threads on apples discussion board on post #11.

There is no consensus on whether or not its hardware or software related. There is a chance that if you get an external sound card, you will still hear the problem. Your options for sound cards are a pcmcia soundcard or usb external soundcard (M-audio makes one that is mac compatible). Since your going 5.1 logitech, your best option in my opinion is M-audio sonica theater, although pricey, it will give you 7.1 analog.

Thanks a lot khisayruou :).