PDA

View Full Version : What is the best programming software for the Macintosh? [Posted in Wrong area]

mAcSplash
Jan 4, 2003, 03:35 PM
I have a problem here, you see I am a Computer Science major in my college, but I don't like to program on the PC, and I recently bought a TiBook... and my thoughts for programming on the TiBook is using CodeWarrior for C and C++, but I need more than that. I need programming where I could do Java, data structure, and much more other stuff.

Is there a nice program out there, where I could just do programming in general, and be able to compile and run it?

Please help me out.. :confused:
Thank you~ :rolleyes:

Gus
Jan 4, 2003, 04:05 PM
Have you looked at RealBasic?
http://www.realbasic.com/

Regards,
Gus

robbieduncan
Jan 4, 2003, 04:10 PM
Why not use the (free) developer tools included with your laptop. You can use them for C,C++,Objective C or Java (at the very least).

holmesf
Jan 4, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by mAcSplash
I have a problem here, you see I am a Computer Science major in my college, but I don't like to program on the PC, and I recently bought a TiBook... and my thoughts for programming on the TiBook is using CodeWarrior for C and C++, but I need more than that. I need programming where I could do Java, data structure, and much more other stuff.

Is there a nice program out there, where I could just do programming in general, and be able to compile and run it?

Please help me out.. :confused:
Thank you~ :rolleyes:

I'm a bit unclear on exactly what you want. Like what you mean by "just do programming n general, and be able to compile and run it?" But here I go:

Using Project builder and IB is great if you want to code in standard C with no graphics (foundation tool), C, C++, Objective-C, or Java. Objective-C or Java (Objective-C is better for this) can be used hand in hand with the Cocoa frameworks to create more Mac OS X looking applications. Project builder also offers the ability to create things like preference panes, and screensavers.

But being a computer science major it sounds like your going to need to compile for the PC. Although this ability should be present in the GCC compiler that Project Builder is based on, I believe Apple removed this ability because it wasn't in their interest to have people writing PC programs with their free developer tools.

Pedro Estarque
Jan 4, 2003, 04:30 PM
Does any one know where to find a good (free) documentation about learning how to program?I mean, one that starts from scratch, my only experience is apple script.The docs that I found at Apple's site are directed to people that already develop applications and not for a biginner like me.
Thanks

rainman::|:|
Jan 4, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Pedro Estarque
Does any one know where to find a good (free) documentation about learning how to program?I mean, one that starts from scratch, my only experience is apple script.The docs that I found at Apple's site are directed to people that already develop applications and not for a biginner like me.
Thanks

Well, free can be difficult; you can buy books in any bookstore like Java for Dummies and Learn C++ in 24 Hours, online guides aren't nearly as good or easy. I learned C++ from a guide written by someone my age who taught himself, so it made sense to me, but i already had a programming language under my belt... The first one is hard to learn, the rest usually come easier. I'm not terribly proficient with Applescript, but I don't think it compares with real code. Try searching Google for beginner's guides to different languages, it's a good start...

:)
pnw

mAcSplash
Jan 4, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Why not use the (free) developer tools included with your laptop. You can use them for C,C++,Objective C or Java (at the very least).

In terms of the free developer tools in my labtop, where is it? i mean where can i find it in my TiBook, and what is it called.. and also how do you use them for Programming? Sorry for so many questions, just very clueless right now...

and sorry to be unclear about the questions I ask, I guess Project Builder is the best right now for programming right now right?

Because I already took C++ class, and the computer i used to build C++ are computers at school using Visual Basic. I think the next computer class I need to take is Java, and Data Structure. Can I use Project Builder for those kind of programming, and if so, how do I do that? or is there any book teaching me how to use Project Builder?

Thank you so much guys~~

By the way, I already converted my 2 long time "PC" friends to a mac user now hahah... one of them bought an iMac, and the other is thinking about also buying TiBook HAHA! :D