Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikegml

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
UK
This one has got me baffled, never had this much trouble getting connected before.

I'm running Windows via Bootcamp on my mac mini. All is fine, no problems, and then I can't connect to the net when in Windows. When in mac everything is fine. no problems. Connection is via cable not wireless, though my Windows laptop connects just fine via wireless.

Had to re-enter my router security key four times to get a connection, but was successful eventually. I'm now connected all the time but still can't get online in windows.

Did a search and was told to download new drivers using Bootcamp Assistant. I did this loading the drivers on a flash drive and installed the drivers, it did nothing. I think I installed them correctly.

I use Chrome and IE, it's the same with both, neither can get connected. Can't think of what to do next.

mikegml

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
UK
Does the mini get an IP address on Windows ?
(do an ipconfig in Windows Command prompt)

If it gets an IP address, DNS problem ?
Do you access Google by using 173.194.67.103 instead of http://www.google.com ?

I think I understand you, I'll check it out.

Google settings says it uses my computer's proxy settings to connect.

Attachments

• IMG_6155.JPG
    IMG_6155.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Schnort

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
The ip address at the top looks about right.

Had to re-enter my router security key four times to get a connection, but was successful eventually.
That confuses me. I'm not sure I've seen a consumer router that requires you to enter any password, etc. to join the network when it's a wired connection.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have never heard of such thing either : you never need a (wifi network ?) password when it's a wired connection.

The IP address looks right, but do an "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) to see if you have at least one DNS server.

mikegml

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
UK
I have never heard of such thing either : you never need a (wifi network ?) password when it's a wired connection.

The IP address looks right, but do an "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) to see if you have at least one DNS server.

Re' entering my password, what I meant, was I had to enter the 'wireless key', as though I was connecting to the router for the very first time, and as though my computer and router didn't recognize each other.

I did an 'ipconfig/all' and got back a whole bunch of stuff inc' 'DNS Servers'.....192.168.1.254.

Sorry about the crappy picture, I'd do a screenshot normally but am doing this from another computer.

Attachments

• IMG_6156.JPG
    IMG_6156.JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

mikegml

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
UK
The default DNS server is the router (192.168.1.254).
This can work if the router does redirect the requests to the actual DNS servers (as it is supposed to do).

Do you access Google home page by using http://173.194.67.103 instead of http://www.google.com ?

Thanks.

I entered the http address exaltly as above, same results: 'this web page is not available'. In IE I get 'this page cannot be displayed' .

Windows diagnostics can't identify the problem.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
So it is not a DNS problem (if you had a DNS problem you probably won't be able to access the web from OS X either).

If we were on OS X we would use Network Utility to do a "traceroute", in order to see were is the problem.

I don't have Windows anymore, so I don't remember if this work in the Command prompt (I would say it should).

Enter : traceroute 173.194.67.103

EDIT : in Windows, it is : tracert 173.194.67.103

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
I've never used Bootcamp (I setup VMWare on my MM). But you have to change the network adapter settings. I believe that you want it to be bridged but please don't quote me on that. You want the one that uses the MM's adapter as opposed to a separate device.

Someone please remind me if bridged is that setting name.

I would assume that Bootcamp works similarly to the external solution.

mikegml

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
UK
This is a new problem.

I've had the mac about two months, I also ran windows via 'parallels' originally but wasn't happy with the performance and with how certain apps' ran so I tried Bootcamp which I've been using almost a month, but at all times I've never had any problem with getting online with mac or windows.

Never even had to 'set up' the connections, I think I just entered the 'wirelees key' first time, clicked IE or chrome and 'bang' I was online.

This happened a few days ago, possibly after I uninstalled a couple of windows apps, can't say for certain it was these apps that caused the problem. They were both 'sneaky' apps that install with other apps.

It's looking like I may have to re-install windows with Bootcamp again, after which I may try Parallels again but this time from the Bootcamp partition which I understand I can do.

Huge PITA either way as it's taken me a full two weeks to sort out a whole bunch of problems and almost had everything set up just fine.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Schnort

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
For what it's worth, you might have a rootkit virus going by your description. It also messes with your proxy server (internet explorer settings)

Try getting malwarebytes, or nuke it from orbit.

mikegml

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
UK
Too late now I've taken the mac back to OSX only. I'll re-install Windows via bootcamp again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.