Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Some Reasons

1) Testing the web designs on multiple platforms, multiple browsers e.g. Opera, IE, Netscape, OmniWeb.

2) All the great web design tools available on the mac - you'll have to develop your own list of these, I don't do web design :).

3) The mac will play well with others.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
All the apps are also for the Mac:
GoLive
LiveMotion
Photoshop
Illustrator
Dreamweaver (+UltraDev)
Flash
and so on

You also have a powerful text editor (and html editor) in BBEdit. On your mac, you can test a web-page on mulitple systems, and mulitple browsers, from the same system. Also, OS X has tremendeous web support... Go Apple! :D

(hope this helps...) :p

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
One more thing:

On a Mac, you can colorsync your photos, so that they will look perfect on a Mac (thank you Apple), and you get a clear idea how they will look on different PCs (which don't have ColorSync)...
And of course. it doesn't matter what platform you are on when designing web pages. What matters is if your tools are good or not. And everyone, well at least 5%, knows the Mac is the perfect tool.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
OK, how about this.

As a professional web designer, it's important to be able to stay creative for a long period of time. Crashes, hickups and problems accosiated with the computer, may hider that creativity. It's ecually important for a designer to work in an environment he or she is familiar with, and can relate to. This makes the prosess of designing much more easier. For me, as a web designer, I feel I'm both more creative and efficent on a Mac. I feel there are less problems with the operating system, giving me more time to do actual work, and not plunder with my computer settings. I do firmly belive it will be in the companys interest to buy a Mac for me to work on, as I will be able to be more creative, more efficent, and do a better job on a Mac, than on a Windows PC. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Yours sincerly (write in name here)

And please do a spell check before sending it :p

yanny

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2001
the pointer

I worked in a repro house many years ago and am working as a web designer at the mo. One very strong agument: the mouse pointer on the mac is far more accurate than on the windows. I was forced to work on windows doing graphics before and somehow the pointer was jumping all over the place, and my boss bought me a mac to work on.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
One word BBE Edit!!!

That text editor alone is worth buying a mac for, plus it integrates with dreamweaver if you've got it. It's far faster to create large scripts and so on in that program than any other webdesign app in my opinion. obviously you've got to learn DHTML and have a good knowledge of HTML to use it but those things go without saying.

Oh, another plus point of the mac over windows (don't want to start any flame wars with the darkside here), Macs have a far higher colour gamut than PCs do, That's a very important issue when dealing with corporate logos that include pantone colours etc...

rastalin94

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2002
If you are going to be on a computer network tell your boss you will handle all networking problems yourself, the point of this is that you will not create any new problems for their IT guys to take care of.

You are an artist and the MAC is the tool you know how to use to create. If you switch to a PC that is like asking a person that draws in pencil to switch to pens and still do just as great of work just as fast.

By switching to a new platform you will increase the amount of problems thus requiring more time from the IT staff as you lean the ins and outs of your new system

You will be forced to use new software and thus will not be as productive, even if you are using equal programs you are not using exactly the same tools. This will greatly hurt your work

I assumme you got this job because of previous work you have done, tell you boss that you will not be able to do as great of work for the above reasons.

Overall you need to prove that it will cost the buiness less time and money in the long run if they give you what you want.

If you are able to get a MAC go out of your way to show how much benefit it has brought the company, in other words be willing to but in that extra effort to impress.

MaxRool

macrumors member
I earn my living developing web applications for large corporations. (I say this merely to qualify the following statesment that I make)
I use both PC and Mac to develop on. (OK also 'nix)
Except for BBEdit, I use only applications that will run on both systems. (UltraDev, Fireworks CodeWarrior etc) TexptPad is a reasonable Windoze alternative.

Productivity wise I find there is no difference between a PC or a Mac.
In fact, the Windoze OS has some neat features that I wish Apple would implement.

But more importantly, I believe that any web organization that does not check their work on Mac, PC and Linux is kidding themselves. (let alone checking between IE / netscape etc)
For this very reason the organization you are going to work with should at least have a Mac to check their work on. (Obviously this should be your Mac :D )

I use a Mac from preference because I like the interface look and feel. I doubt I could justify the advantages over the PC for the work I do.

Sadly, many mainstream web companies write stuff for deployment on Windoze servers. This generally implies asp and SQL Server etc. Trust me, it easier to write asp on a windoze box.

All the best with your new job anway :) . I hope you get your Mac

MojoJojo

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2002
Sneaky fix for annoying pee-cee co-workers

How about slipping anthrax into their coffee mugs?

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
you think you had it bad?

you think you had it bad at dandy.net?

take a look at these guys http://www.ComptutorComputerCenter.com/

Nice site, no?I did some contract work for them for some flash stuff... and lets just say the situation gets worse from there.

*still waiting for the money:(

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
just realized it sounded like that i made their site. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I did some contract work for some of THEIR clients sites'. sorry about that. That's their own lucious design.

bossmanb!

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2002
no
problems with your employer?

You have problems with employer because he won't let you use a kiddie computer? Grow up. Your employer should have you examined for paranoid schizophrenia. Or maybe you are a Down's Syndrome person who slipped through the screening process at birth? I can't believe anyone would willfully work on a Mac by their own volition. You're a crack-pot. I'd fire you. And, yes I run an IT concern with about twenty employees. You are an assface and a deluded spoiled rotten child.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Re: problems with your employer?

Originally posted by bossmanb!
You have problems with employer because he won't let you use a kiddie computer? Grow up. Your employer should have you examined for paranoid schizophrenia. Or maybe you are a Down's Syndrome person who slipped through the screening process at birth? I can't believe anyone would willfully work on a Mac by their own volition. You're a crack-pot. I'd fire you. And, yes I run an IT concern with about twenty employees. You are an assface and a deluded spoiled rotten child.

why are you bringing back 2 month old threads?

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
uh-oh, you should've taken a left turn at....

This thread has gotten a little out of hand with the threats and name calling.

I'm not the thread police, but come on -- we better than this, aren't we.

On the topic of this thread, there are really only two good arguments:

1) A business needs to test a website on a Mac, otherwise you could be missing out on a decent market share.

2) From a productivity stand-point (and this is the weaker argument) - if you are far more productive on the Mac over the PC then it would be more beneficial to the business to have you working on the Mac.

On the PC problems described, like the mouse thing - that is a totally bogus argument and shouldn't be taken seriously at all. I am sure the intent was good (no disrespect to the poster), but what they didn't realize is that there are several ways to adjust the precision of the mouse in Windoze.

Also, on the color issue -- you shouldn't calibrate a photo to only work from within the boundries of ColorSync to look right. When the page is displayed on a PC, it will not look right -- that is not a good design approach. If color is an issue, calibrate your monitor and adjust the colors on the image to look correct, based solely on your monitor. That way, whatever browser is viewing the image, it will be as close to correct as possible - aside from them calibrating their monitor.

Good Luck in finding another place of employment. By the way, it isn't a very good idea to insult businesses where they may consider you in the future. Leave all your options open or they may come back to haunt you.

Quark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.