PDA

View Full Version : iPod dead

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2005, 02:40 PM
Damn.

Yesterday 4G 40gb started displaying the exclamation mark & folder icon after I accidentally and stupidly unplugged it without unmounting it first.

Then tried restoring it tonight with iPod Updater but this failed with an 'unexpected error' message and there's an ominous clicking sound coming from it.

It's past its warranty.

Options? Buy a new one? Get it serviced? That can also be quite pricy.
Opening it up and messing with it myself? :eek:

yellow
Dec 15, 2005, 02:43 PM
don't quote me on this one, but since it's a loss anyway, can't you try and reformat it with Disk Utility and then use the iPod util to reinstall the OS on it and start over?

TheMonarch
Dec 15, 2005, 02:43 PM
Ugh. That happened to me once (Same iPod). It was under warranty though. And it happened while plugged into my Mac. It should be that easy to screw up an iPod.

I suggest finding a USB cable and try to restore it on a Windows machine, they tend to be more forgiving...

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2005, 02:50 PM
don't quote me on this one, but since it's a loss anyway, can't you try and reformat it with Disk Utility and then use the iPod util to reinstall the OS on it and start over?

When I start Disk Utility up with the iPod plugged in by FW, it just hangs with a sundial as it's 'Gathering disk information'. :(

I'll try rebooting the Mac.

amacgenius
Dec 15, 2005, 02:59 PM
I'd recommend buying a replacement HD and servicing it yourself, it's VERY easy.

yellow
Dec 15, 2005, 03:02 PM
When I start Disk Utility up with the iPod plugged in by FW, it just hangs with a sundial as it's 'Gathering disk information'.

And try plugging it in after you've opened Disk Utility, though you'll probably end up with a similar result. And I assume you've reset the iPod.

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2005, 03:04 PM
I'd recommend buying a replacement HD and servicing it yourself, it's VERY easy.

What kind of drive and any useful links on how to go about doing this, especially getting the iPod case open?

I've installed new fans and a new heatsink throughout my G4 in the past so am semi-OK with tinkering with this kind of stuff.

Thanks for all help so far.

Edit: And try plugging it in after you've opened Disk Utility, though you'll probably end up with a similar result. And I assume you've reset the iPod.

OK, I've managed to get it mounted into Disk Utility. Still clicking but erasing... I'll try restoring it again but I don't have high hopes.

aricher
Dec 15, 2005, 03:15 PM
Keep trying the disk utility reformat. I had the exact same thing happen to my 40 GB 3G. It kept clicking away and about 4 disk reformats later it finally worked. Then I ran the iPod updater on it and it's been working since then. Good luck to you on this. Worst case scenario is that you have to either replace the HD yourself or have a tech repair put one in for you.

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2005, 03:25 PM
Keep trying the disk utility reformat. I had the exact same thing happen to my 40 GB 3G. It kept clicking away and about 4 disk reformats later it finally worked. Then I ran the iPod updater on it and it's been working since then. Good luck to you on this. Worst case scenario is that you have to either replace the HD yourself or have a tech repair put one in for you.

I finally got it mounted and reformatted in Disk Utility but then iPod updater started misbehaving so I'm just downloading the latest one now from Software Update... I'll keep trying as you suggest. Thanks for the encouragement.

amacgenius
Dec 15, 2005, 03:30 PM
Here's an article on how to take the iPod apart (it's from the 3g, but it's still the same pretty much.)

http://www.2guysamacandawebsite.com/article.php?id=588

And here's some HDs:

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/ipod-hard-drive_MP3-Players-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ97927

puckhead193
Dec 15, 2005, 03:52 PM
i'd say screw it, come on... i know you want the new video ipod ;)

iGary
Dec 15, 2005, 03:53 PM

Damned right. I'd be running to the mall right now.

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2005, 04:43 PM

Well, yes... but an 80gb one. Been waiting for a while.

May have to go back to using my 1gb Shuffle until an 80gb model is released.

Formatting the iPod now, zeroing all data. Will leave it running overnight and will try iPod updater tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

yellow
Dec 15, 2005, 04:56 PM
Fingers crossed.

Same here. It's hard to type like this too..

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2005, 01:51 AM
Here's an article on how to take the iPod apart (it's from the 3g, but it's still the same pretty much.)

http://www.2guysamacandawebsite.com/article.php?id=588

And here's some HDs:

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/ipod-hard-drive_MP3-Players-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ97927

Thanks for the links. :)

I'll see what the price of those drives in the UK is if I can find any and then compare it to Apple UK's servicing charge. If they're similar, then I'll get Apple to do it or replace it or whatever they do with them.

yellow
Dec 16, 2005, 10:44 AM
So I take it the iPod is iPoof?

Applespider
Dec 16, 2005, 10:52 AM
I'll see what the price of those drives in the UK is if I can find any and then compare it to Apple UK's servicing charge. If they're similar, then I'll get Apple to do it or replace it or whatever they do with them.

If you like, I could mug you on your way home from work, steal your broken iPod and you can claim a new shiny one from your insurance...

Joking!:p

yellow
Dec 16, 2005, 11:21 AM
What are friends for?

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2005, 12:53 PM
If you like, I could mug you on your way home from work, steal your broken iPod and you can claim a new shiny one from your insurance...

Joking!:p

Insurance? Um... :o

And Yellow? No, iPod is not well at all. Left it zero-formatting over night, woke up at 7am to find it stuck doing the partition map and clicking. :(

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this stage. Have to admit it's had two falls onto hard floors in its short life of 6 months.

yellow
Dec 16, 2005, 01:01 PM
Have to admit it's had two falls onto hard floors in its short life of 6 months.

Ahh.. the Click of Death. Bummer. Perhaps Santa (ok.. Father Christmas :rolleyes: ) will bring you a new one if you've been a good BV this year?

iMeowbot
Dec 16, 2005, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this stage. Have to admit it's had two falls onto hard floors in its short life of 6 months.
Oh wait, isn't it still a 1 year warranty on those?

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2005, 01:07 PM
Oh wait, isn't it still a 1 year warranty on those?

Not if you buy it from an Amazon reseller as new but with a one month warranty, I think. I'm a bit fed up with it now and am almost prepared to write it off as a bad buying decision.

It was only because I was so eager to get my hands on a hard-to-find 4G standard model instead of the photo models because of reported sound distortion problems.

I'll worry* about it till after Xmas...

*procrastinate

Lau
Dec 16, 2005, 02:11 PM
If you do need a hard drive and it's going to cost a lot to fix, it isn't hard to do it yourself. Me and my friend did it a while back (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=163585&highlight=ipod+hard+drive), and getting the case open was harder than the hard drive. It's the first thing you come to and it just unplugs.

Me and Liam managed to break his iPod by replacing the battery, but that's right at the bottom, and involved taking a lot of stuff out, unplugging bits and squeezing stuff back. I'm not sure I'd do that again. But the hard drive is much easier.

If you do decide to do it - I'm more than happy to offer advice through IMs as you do it!

mrichmon
Dec 16, 2005, 04:52 PM
No, iPod is not well at all. Left it zero-formatting over night, woke up at 7am to find it stuck doing the partition map and clicking. :(

I've had a similar problem with one of my previous iPods. I had success in reviving it by re-writing the partition table with a Windows partition table (using "fdisk /mbr" on a windows machine). I then formated the iPod using FAT 32 before unmounting the iPod hooking it up to a Mac and letting the iPod updater reformat the thing with a Mac filesystem.

All this took a bit of time since it involves reformatting the thing a couple of times but at this stage you have nothing to loose.

Also, if you end up deciding to swap out the drive yourself one of the fake plastic credit cards that are sent out with credit card offers (or even an old unneeded card) is the perfect tool to pry open an ipod. Just use some sandpaper to sharpen up one of the sides of the card so it is easier to work it into the seams of the ipod.

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2005, 04:53 PM
If you do need a hard drive and it's going to cost a lot to fix, it isn't hard to do it yourself...

Thanks Lau. Have found a UK supplier of the 1.8" Toshiba drives -- may just spring for the 60gb one that apparently also fits inside the 4th gen models according to the links that amacgenius so kindly provided.

135.19 + delivery... oo-er. Still 30 cheaper than what Apple want and who knows what I'd get back from them.

So maybe in the new year once I've paid for Xmas. :D

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2005, 04:56 PM
I've had a similar problem with one of my previous iPods. I had success in reviving it by re-writing the partition table with a Windows partition table (using "fdisk /mbr" on a windows machine). I then formated the iPod using FAT 32 before unmounting the iPod hooking it up to a Mac and letting the iPod updater reformat the thing with a Mac filesystem.

All this took a bit of time since it involves reformatting the thing a couple of times but at this stage you have nothing to loose.

OK, I'll try that. Believe or not, I don't know anyone handy with a PC so may have to flutter my eyelashes at one of the IT guys at the office. :D

Thanks for the suggestion as you say, nothing to lose. :)

EGT
Dec 16, 2005, 08:39 PM
The same thing happened to my 60 gig iPod. I tried the same things as you but nothing worked.

Then I bought a Nano but got bored only carrying a few hundred songs so I erased with disk utility again and restored. Amazingly, it worked! It was sitting on my desk for a good few weeks with no power. :confused:

I think I'm going to get a 5th gen soon. I'd sell you my 60gig for cheap but it has the piano note distortion thing/static when accessing the drive. All the more reason to upgrade. :mad:

dcv
Dec 17, 2005, 04:30 AM
Ohhh :( sorry to hear about your iPod. I've got the same one and mine broke 5 months after I bought it. I had it replaced with a brand new one under warranty... which is why I then took out the extended Apple Care.

I got mine from Cancom on Kensington High Street - they're an authorised Apple reseller - it might be worth giving them a call to find out if they do out-of-warranty repairs and/or spare parts, or they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Blue Velvet
Dec 17, 2005, 04:48 AM
I got mine from Cancom on Kensington High Street - they're an authorised Apple reseller - it might be worth giving them a call to find out if they do out-of-warranty repairs and/or spare parts, or they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Know it well, on my way up to High St. Ken in an hour or so. ;)

But they're on my boycott list along with Micro Anvika. :D

No, I'll try the Windows-formatting thang and then if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new Toshiba 1.8" drive for it and install it myself. Lau assures me it's easy-peasy. :)

Lau
Dec 17, 2005, 03:03 PM
I'll try the Windows-formatting thang and then if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new Toshiba 1.8" drive for it and install it myself. Lau assures me it's easy-peasy. :)

It is! I promise. Though I accept no responsibility if it all goes Pete Tong....:D

Little Endian
Dec 21, 2005, 09:17 AM
My 40Gig 4G ipod had the same problem in August of this year. The real sad thing is it first exhibited HD problems just a week out of warranty!!

I read elsewhere that freezing a HD can bring them back to life (google search it) and it really did work up until today. Albeit I had to do about 3-4 system restores in the past four months and it has been frozen on 3 occasions to get it up and running again. I know it sounds silly but it worked for the past 4 months.

Today though my ipod is dead for good. Freezing doesn't work anymore and i can't even get it to mount all I get is the Apple Logo and Constant clicking and whirring if I'm lucky I can get to the exclamation folder.

I have sent an email to ipodresq.com to see how much they will give me for it (they buy broken ipods) since I don't feel like spending almost $200 for a new 40Gig drive. I'll be happy if they give me at least $50 if not ebay will be my next bet.

edit: oh yeah don't forget to put it in a Ziplock bag and let condensation evaporate before pluging it in.

CubaTBird
Dec 22, 2005, 09:41 PM
you only unmounted improperly once and it craps out on you? ouch.. i remember forgetting to unmount my 3g and it worked like a charm a bunch of times despite the error message display.