Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I recently have changed my Apple ID password so I was logging in on my current devices (Mac Pro, iPhone, and iPad). I recently sold an old mid 2010 white MacBook to a store. Before doing so, I was sure to boot from the Snow Leopard CD, use the Disk Utility to erase the hard drive, and I even ran a clean install of the OS.

After logging in on my iPhone, it showed me messages such as "Andrew's iPad is now available for iMessage". It showed me on stating that "Andrew's MacBook is now available for iMessage" which scared me a little since I sold that a while ago.

I unregistered the MacBook on Support Profile. I'm about to change my Apple ID password again.

Is it possible that the old MacBook has had access to my iMessages?

What can I do to prevent that further if so.

Thank you.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I recently have changed my Apple ID password so I was logging in on my current devices (Mac Pro, iPhone, and iPad). I recently sold an old mid 2010 white MacBook to a store. Before doing so, I was sure to boot from the Snow Leopard CD, use the Disk Utility to erase the hard drive, and I even ran a clean install of the OS.

After logging in on my iPhone, it showed me messages such as "Andrew's iPad is now available for iMessage". It showed me on stating that "Andrew's MacBook is now available for iMessage" which scared me a little since I sold that a while ago.

I unregistered the MacBook on Support Profile. I'm about to change my Apple ID password again.

Is it possible that the old MacBook has had access to my iMessages?

What can I do to prevent that further if so.

Thank you.

Once you change your Apple ID password, they won't have access to your iMessages anymore.

From the time that you received that notification to the time that you change your password, they will see any iMessages that you get.

You need to actively disable iMessage and all iCloud account on the device before selling it - Simply reinstalling the OS doesn't cut it. I've went through a very similar scenario.

Changing your password will get you cleared up :)

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Once you change your Apple ID password, they won't have access to your iMessages anymore.

From the time that you received that notification to the time that you change your password, they will see any iMessages that you get.

You need to actively disable iMessage and all iCloud account on the device before selling it - Simply reinstalling the OS doesn't cut it. I've went through a very similar scenario.

Changing your password will get you cleared up :)

Thank you very much! A few minutes before posting this on Macrumors, I asked for help on the official Apple website. You have been better support than official website!

Thank you again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.